- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Outreach, Policy
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: 2560 Huntington Avenue Suite 301 Alexandria, VA 22303
- Application Deadline: June 29, 2019
The Association of American Educators Foundation is seeking applicants for a Director of Advocacy based out of our Alexandria, Virginia, office.
The Director of Advocacy leads the organization’s results-driven advocacy efforts and educator engagement campaigns, which advance AAE Foundation’s mission and policy positions. The position requires a motivated individual capable of training educators to participate in advocacy efforts, taking a central role in developing and implementing the organization’s goals, and deploying educator advocates to maximize impact. This position contributes heavily to the policy content of AAE published materials and newsletters.
Supervisor: Executive Director
- Lead educator engagement campaigns to advance the mission and policy positions of the organization and membership.
- Identify and train educator advocates throughout the country to participate in coordinated opportunities to advance the organization’s mission and priorities.
- Coordinate the development and deployment of AAE Advocacy Ambassadors, brand representatives for the genuine educator voice committed to student achievement and teaching excellence.
- Monitor and report on status of relevant education policy developments, including legislation, regulations, and policy proposals, at the state and federal levels.
- Coordinate policy education programs and products to enhance educator awareness of policy positions and developments.
- Direct membership survey program, including conducting national survey of all membership and quarterly surveys on specific policy topics, and support announcement and publication of those surveys with communications staff and strategic partners.
- Build and maintain relationships with allies and decision makers in the policy community who will support our mission and projects.
- Support and expand existing relationships with education policy organizations and individuals.
- Participate in speaking engagements and on panel opportunities to showcase the work and mission of AAE Foundation.
- Collaborate with Director of Charter School Services on outreach and policy priorities related to charter schools.
- Collaborate with Director of Communications on member communications, public relations, marketing materials, and publications.
- Support existing partnerships with charter school associations, including Georgia, New Jersey, Texas, Utah, Missouri, Florida, and Colorado.
- Track, evaluate and report all advocacy efforts initiated by the organization.
- Represent AAE Foundation at presentations and teacher gatherings, as needed.
- Represent AAE Foundation at national and state conferences, as needed.
- Coordinate and assist with implementation of association logistics for conferences.
- Respond to requests for information from members.
- Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
- Foster an organizational culture upholding AAE Foundation’s mission and values.
- Other duties as needed to fulfill mission of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum three years in member engagement, issue advocacy, or policy experience.
- Ability to travel extensively.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work independently and/or from a home office.
- Philosophical alignment of association’s policy platform and mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship-building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and communications skills (both written and oral) with attention to detail.
- Experience working with spreadsheets in Excel, creating and presenting with PowerPoint.
- Professional experience in K-12 education.
- Understanding of education reform issues.
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaigns.
- Experience in membership association industry.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary.
- Employee health and retirement plan with matching opportunity.
- Travel and technology compensation.
- Office is Metro accessible (Huntington Avenue).
About Association of American Educators Foundation
The Association of American Educators Foundation supports the mission of the Association of American Educators, a non-profit, non-union professional educator organization that seeks to foster the transformation of the teaching profession by empowering and supporting a community of professionals for the benefit of our students and the nation. AAE is committed to a teaching profession that is student-oriented, well respected, and personally fulfilling. AAE is a forward-thinking, reform-minded organization, primarily serving K-12 public district and public charter school educators. AAE and AAE Foundation empower and amplify educator voices committed to student achievement and teaching excellence. AAE Foundation is a 501(c)(3). For more information, visit aaeteachers.org.
How to apply
Send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com, subject line: Director of Advocacy.