- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Location: 3434 Washington Blvd, 4th Floor Arlington, VA 22201
- Application Deadline: May 31, 2020
The Creative + Product team at Mercatus rapidly ideates, tests, and learns to build functional and exciting tools in support of the Mercatus Center’s mission. We seek out the highest value customer problems to solve and implement creative solutions that meet both internal and external needs.
This role will join the web products team and support our highest trafficked websites: mercatus.org, conversationswithtyler.com, marginalrevolution.com, and cafehayek.com. This individual will contribute to the success and growth of content streams that reach millions of people and gain the attention of high profile influencers such as Margaret Atwood, Mark Zuckerberg, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and more.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone with experience in a professional setting who is excited to learn and own ambiguous, challenging projects.
- Mercatus.org feature, browser, and regression testing
- Assist in writing and testing requirements for new releases on Mercatus.org and magazine website
- Triage and troubleshoot bugs and unexpected website behavior
- Write clear, thorough documentation for web processes and features
- Manage developer and stakeholder workflows for WordPress websites
- Evangelize features and functionality to ensure teams get the most value out of them
- Drive customer learning by running website polls, assisting in customer interviews, and helping with user testing
- Follow what our competitors are doing and find ways make Mercatus products stand out
- Get obsessed with our data tools and understanding how users interact with our products
- Help us understand our successes and failures by comparing outcomes to initial goals and expectations
- Share research and data insights in compelling ways with the rest of the team to increase understand and alignment on goals
Customer service (~10%)
- Support internal teams by triaging and prioritizing incoming requests
- Find creative solutions to customer problems
- Build relationships with key stakeholders
- Self starter: drive team priorities by figuring out what needs to be done and doing it with little oversight or hand holding
- Judgement: know when to ask questions and seek additional context
- Customer service: promptly and warmly communicate with and assist team members and co-workers, even when having to say no
- Humility: willingness to be wrong and fail. See failure as the quickest pathway to success
- Work ethic: dedication to team goals and mission, obsessed with completing and driving forward team priorities, willing to jump in and help out in whatever way supports the team
- Mindset: Dedicated to learning and personal growth
- Experience with data analytics tools (Google Analytics, Hotjar, what else should we use?)
- Comfort with CMS tools and website administration (we use Drupal and WordPress)
- Familiarity with a coding language
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to have empathetic and direct conversations
- Experience with website hosting and domain management a plus
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission and your best guess as to why the responsibility percentages only add up to 90.