- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: 2560 Huntington Avenue Suite 301 Alexandria, VA 22303
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2019
The Association of American Educators is seeking applicants for a Communications Coordinator/Social Media Manager based out of our Alexandria, Virginia, office.
The Communications Coordinator/Social Media Manager provides a broad range of communications and marketing support to the organization, including managing AAE’s social media platforms. This position works closely with the Director of Communications to implement a communications strategy to serve tens of thousands of members in all fifty states, potential members throughout the country, allies, and the media. This position requires a motivated individual with excellent communication skills, demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines, a careful attention to detail, and an interest in K-12 education policy.
- Coordinate the implementation of AAE’s communications strategies to advance AAE’s mission, growth, and member service, including promotion of AAE Foundation advocacy efforts, enhanced communication with members, marketing strategies to potential members, and increased exposure of AAE’s mission, benefits, and projects.
- Manage AAE’s social media accounts, including overseeing digital marketing campaigns, posting regular content for members and supporters, and responding to messages.
- Serve as coordinating editor of AAE’s flagship newsletter, Education Matters, helping select and create compelling and professional content for issues.
- Assist in the development and publication of AAE’s member newsletter, promotional materials, and other printed content.
- Assist in the development and distribution of AAE’s member emails, including AAE’s monthly member email.
- Assist in the drafting of AAE’s written content, including articles, op-eds, and blog posts.
- Attend key meetings and events in the Washington, D.C., area, as needed.
- Represent AAE at national and state conferences, as needed.
- Coordinate and assist with implementation of association logistics for conferences.
- Track, evaluate and report communications and marketing efforts initiated by the organization.
- Responsibly respond to requests from current members, prospective members, the media, and the public.
- Actively participate in staff calls and team meetings.
- Maintain an organizational culture upholding AAE mission and values.
- Assist in daily functions of AAE’s Alexandria, Virginia, office.
- Other duties as needed to fulfill mission of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least three years experience in communications, marketing, public relations, and/or social media management.
- Experience managing member email program (Constant Contact preferred).
- Experience managing content on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.).
- Experience working with common office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship-building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and communications skills (both written and oral) with attention to detail.
- Ability to travel throughout the Washington, D.C., area as needed and outside of the Washington, D.C. area occasionally.
- Philosophical alignment of association’s policy platform and mission.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Professional experience in K-12 education.
- Understanding of education policy trends and education reform issues.
- Experience updating website content, including writing HTML.
- Experience in graphic design.
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaigns.
- Experience in membership association industry.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive salary.
- Employee health and retirement plan with matching opportunity.
- Travel and technology compensation.
- Office is Metro accessible (Huntington Avenue).
Association of American Educators Mission & Vision
The Association of American Educators is a non-profit, non-union professional educator organization that seeks to foster the transformation of the teaching profession by empowering and supporting our community of professionals for the benefit of our students and the nation. AAE is committed to a teaching profession that is student oriented, well respected, and personally fulfilling. AAE is a forward-thinking, reform-minded organization, primarily serving K-12 public district and public charter school educators. AAE is a 501(c)(6) professional association and works closely with AAE Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit. AAE and AAE Foundation empower and amplify educator voices committed to student achievement and teaching excellence. For more visit aaeteachers.org.
How to apply
Send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com, subject line: Communications Coordinator/Social Media Manager.