- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Contact: email@example.com
- Location: P.O. Box 568 140 West Midland, MI 48640
- Application Deadline: August 15, 2017
The Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a Michigan-based public policy research and educational institute, is seeking a Communications Manager to help develop a climate of public opinion in which policies based on free markets and individual liberty can be successfully implemented.
The Mackinac Center is a nonprofit, nonpartisan 501(c)3 organization with 35 full-time employees, a fifty-member Board of Scholars and an annual operating budget of $5 million. It is celebrating its 30thanniversary in 2017. The Mackinac Center’s theory of change holds that policy change follows evolution in public opinion. This makes effective communications a prerequisite for accomplishing the organization’s mission of advancing liberty and opportunity for all people.
This role plays an important and respected role within the Mackinac Center. Within the past two years alone, the Communications Manager has helped keep educational choice options from being taken away from the children of Detroit, opened Michigan to ridesharing and other creative transportation solutions, passed the nation’s most effective public-sector pension reform and much more.
This position reports to the Vice President for Marketing and Communications and manages the Communications Associate. The Communications Manager coordinates closely with the Marketing and Strategic Outreach Manager and the Multimedia Producer. This position is located in Midland, Mich.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Commitment to free-market solutions to public policy issues;
- Firm desire to advance policies in Michigan consistent with respect for individual liberty;
- Strong organizational and managerial skills;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills;
- Significant experience in media relations and social media;
- Ability to function as a spokesperson
The communications manager is responsible for:
- Managing/leading communications staff and interns;
- Supporting message strategy and development;
- Directing and coordinating media relations activities;
- Directing and coordinating social media content;
- Writing and editing of content, including press releases, op-eds, bylined articles, website copy and other materials;
- Monitoring and analysis of media coverage and social media engagement;
- Assisting in crisis communications situations;
- Leading communications coaching, including message delivery, interviewing and speaker training;
- Providing counsel to policy and advancement staff on messaging;
- Coordinating with communications functions at partner organizations on areas of mutual interest;
- Ensuring the quality of publications including op-eds, press releases, bylined articles, donor magazine and more;
- Ensuring all outward-facing publications are consistent with organization’s message, values and tone;
- Overseeing communications aspects of events;
- Media spokesperson as required.
How to apply
The position provides a competitive salary and excellent benefits. To be considered for this position, please send a resume and a cover letter describing your interest in the mission of the Mackinac Center to firstname.lastname@example.org. While we thank all applicants for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those whom we are considering for an interview. No telephone calls, please.