- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Location: 100 North Duval Street Tallahassee, FL 32301
The James Madison Institute is seeking a full-time communications manager to work alongside JMI’s Director of Communications and Public Affairs.
The ultimate goal of hiring a communications manager at JMI would be to increase the Institute’s owned audience and brand through timely and effective social media messaging, email campaigns, earned and paid media, podcast and video content, targeted issue campaigns and ads, etc. Within this goal, the communications manager at JMI would regularly be tasked with drafting and editing content, cultivating policy messaging and related resources, graphic design and layout tasks, as well as multimedia campaign efforts.
The JMI communications manager would be in charge of developing strategy and creating content to reach new potential donors to the Institute, while increasing the engagement of current supporters and members through exposure to JMI resources, attendance at our events, and increased giving to support our mission. The communications manager would have as a top priority increasing JMI’s earned media in order to promote the JMI brand and messaging not only in Florida, but nationally.
This is a full time position in our Tallahassee office.
- Manage production of JMI publications and materials, includes drafting, editing/proofreading, reviewing, designing, and publishing content
- Manage JMI email blasts to members
- Work closely with JMI’s development team to ensure JMI’s members have up to date information about the organization.
- Monitor all social media content and publishing pertaining to spreading the message of JMI
- Maintain JMI.org, including proofreading, updating and publishing content
- Draft detailed press releases
- Assist Director of Communications with drafting, editing, and publishing JMI’s bi-yearly Newsletter, The Messenger, and yearly Annual Report
- Assist with drafting, editing and placing op-eds for statewide and national print and online media and radio.
- Assist with the management of content, editing, and promotion of JMI’s podcast series
- Communicate with other similar organizations to build relationships, brainstorm new ideas, and develop coalitions
- Work with the Director of Communications and Public Affairs in developing communication strategies for JMI policy priorities
- Ensure the message of JMI is consistent, respectful and appealing to audience
- Represent JMI positively and accurately to the public and interested donors through both an online and personal presence
- Assist Director of Communications in any other related tasks
- Participate in weekly JMI staff meetings, as well as a weekly meeting with Director of Communications and Public Affairs
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a concentration in Communications or Public Relations preferred
- Minimum of two years of communications experience
- Ability to work 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday 9 am-5:00 pm. (1 hour lunch)
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software suite, specifically Word and Outlook
- Familiarity with WordPress and HootSuite
- Familiarity with graphic design applications is preferred, but not required
- Strong work ethic, highly self-motivated with attention to detail and ability to be a team player
- Possess a level of creativity and be knowledgeable of current social and digital media trends
- Willingness to perform all tasks with a positive attitude and contribute to the team by performing miscellaneous tasks as needed/directed
Salary is commensurate with experience
Full health and retirement benefits
Paid holidays, annual leave and medical leave
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization and your salary requirements
Materials should be emailed to JMI’s Executive Vice President Becky Liner at email@example.com with the subject line: “Communications Manager.”
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.