- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Communications, Development
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2020
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center seeks a highly creative, collaborative, and innovative Development Communications Manager to help connect our mission with donor audiences through creative and compelling communications products. If you’re an independent self-starter with excellent communication skills and an interest in economics and public policy, read on to learn more. In this position, you will also learn and deploy best practices in persuasive writing, marketing, and project management. This role collaborates closely with the Major Gifts team and reports to the Director of Development Communications.
- Identify opportunities for the Major Gifts team to communicate with donors by keeping “tabs” on what’s new at Mercatus
- Maintain the “cultivation calendar” of communications products sent from gift officers to donors
- Develop relationships with individual gift officers to better understand their portfolio and needs
- Develop stewardship tracks for Major Gifts donors
- Serve as the team liaison with certain Mercatus programs
- Attend weekly update meetings with the programs, and communicate news and updates to the team
- Serve as the primary development communications point of contact for donor proposals and requests
- Work with the Development Operations team to enhance digital and postal fundraising products
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, communications, or business-related field preferred
- 3 – 7 years of communications, marketing, fundraising, or PR experience preferred
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook)
- Able to perform in a team-oriented environment
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize independently
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.