- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Development
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: September 9, 2021
Ballotpedia is seeking a full-time Development Manager to implement its development strategy and help Ballotpedia grow its annual and major gift program. Reporting to the Vice President of External Relations and working closely with the External Relations team, the Development Manager will be responsible for managing a growth portfolio of individual donors, major donor prospects, and foundations, as well as providing specific oversight of Ballotpedia’s Donor Club program.
The role’s primary focus will be securing funds for Ballotpedia by qualifying donors, providing them with giving opportunities, and encouraging them to give while engaging existing donors to Ballotpedia and ensuring they upgrade support and involvement with our organization. Duties will span donor research, cultivation and communications. The Development Manager will build strong relationships on behalf of Ballotpedia and engage with donors on a regular basis through phone and in-person meetings. The ideal candidate will be based near a major U.S. airport, and be expected to travel up to 20% of the time. Ballotpedia operates in a virtual office setting and has done so since its founding in 2007.
The Development Manager will be expected to conduct regular personal meetings with donors and donor prospects and solicit contributions, employing an effective moves management strategy. The successful candidate will have past success securing gifts in the five-figure range.
As the Development Manager you will:
- Execute and improve a development plan, securing financial support from individuals and foundations to meet the goals of the organization
- Build strong relationships with donors and increase their engagement with Ballotpedia
- Secure and manage a caseload of 100 – 125 donors
- Conduct donor and prospect research
- Create reports on progress toward fundraising goals
- Assist in the drafting of regular and polished communications to support fundraising initiatives such as fundraising letters, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, and related promotional materials
- Plan and drive support for the organization’s Donor Clubs and associated events in collaboration with other team members
- Other duties as requested
The ideal Development Manager will have:
- A demonstrated passion for Ballotpedia’s mission
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience, including 2 years of working in nonprofit development or a field with similar skills and 1 year of experience successfully securing five figure gifts and qualifying donors.
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills (both written and verbal)
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, meet deadlines, multi-task, and follow through
- A strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Responsible judgment, be honest, and dependable
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Google Suite of products, Slack, and Asana
- Familiarity with current philanthropy software and database programs (Salesforce experience is highly desired)
- Ability to travel roughly 20% of the time
The Development Manager will work remotely from their home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Suite, Slack, and Asana are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment, BP Flex, in which every employee enjoys unlimited vacation and flexibility in scheduling. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The base pay range for the Development Manager is $55,000 to $65,000, and will be commensurate with experience.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers performance bonuses and a $7,000 annual benefits stipend, which can be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $7,000 stipend is treated as regular income and added to salary.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
To apply, visit Ballotpedia’s Job Opportunities page and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and this position
Please ensure that either your résumé or cover letter include your current address. Applications without addresses will not be accepted.