- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Development
- Location: 901 N. Glebe Road, Suite 900 Arlington, VA 22203
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
The Institute for Justice, a public interest law firm that champions freedom and justice for all Americans, seeks an experienced writer to join our growing fundraising team as they work collaboratively to grow the Institute’s base of support and encourage even more people to join our fight for liberty. The Development Writer will be a critical part of communicating IJ’s message out to existing supporters and to those who are not yet familiar with our work but who share our principles and commitment to end abuses of government power and protect individual rights. The Development Writer will help us report on our success while setting forth the vision of what new and increased support will enable the Institute for Justice to accomplish.
This position is ideal for a motivated self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and is focused on producing results. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of producing compelling, action-oriented narratives for variety of audiences and be able to manage a growing portfolio of general operating and project-specific grants.
- Draft letters, reports, and ad hoc updates for high-dollar individual supporters
- Draft appeal and acquisition letters, emails, and other mass communications for donor and prospect groups
- Manage and grow a portfolio of general operating support grants as well as select project-specific grants
- Identify and follow through on new foundation and high-dollar individual support
- Identify top growth prospects; develop and execute a strategy to increase donor support
- Proven ability to distill complex information into easy-to-understand, persuasive narratives
- Strong philosophical commitment to promoting individual liberty and challenging government abuse
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize, problem-solve, and meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to producing error-free work
- Ability to build relationships with staff, donors, and others
- Command of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Familiarity with Salesforce is a plus
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Institute for Justice offers full health, dental, and life insurance benefits; a retirement savings plan; and the opportunity to work with high-performing individuals in a collaborative, collegial, positive work environment.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position along with two to three brief writing samples, 2- to 3-pages each (letters of inquiry and excerpts of proposals or grant reports are encouraged) here.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.