- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Location: 1050 Bishop St. #508 Honolulu, HI 96813
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2018
The Grassroot Institute of Hawaii is seeking a Director of Communications based out of our Honolulu, Hawaii, office.
The Grassroot Institute of Hawaii (GRIH) is a nonprofit, public policy think tank that seeks to educate people about the values of individual liberty, economic freedom and accountable government.
Through the publication of accurate and timely research and commentaries, as well as by organizing events, conferences and seminars, the Institute informs Hawaii’s policymakers, news media, and the public at large about key public policy issues. Since its founding in 2001, it has helped provide the intellectual foundations for many public policy debates.
While the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii functions as a thought leader, it is just as committed to promoting action through practical change. In the spirit of “E Hana Kakou / Let’s work together!”, it strives to bring Hawaii’s people together to work for a better economy, better government, and better society.
To maintain its role as an independent voice and watchdog, the Grassroot Institute refuses to accept funding from the local, state, or federal governments. As an IRS 501(c)(3) organization, the Grassroot Institute is nonpartisan and does not endorse political candidates or parties.
The Director of Communications is responsible for advancing GRIH’s mission, growth, and member service through internal and external communications strategies. This position directs efforts related to member communications, marketing communications, media relations, and publications. This position is at management level within the organization and contributes greatly to formulation of association’s policies, programs, and focus. This position reports to the vice president of research.
- Develop and implement communications strategies to advance GRIH’s mission, growth, and member service, marketing strategies to potential members, and increased exposure of GRIH’s mission, benefits, and projects.
- Manage GRIH’s external and member communications, including social media, advertising, marketing campaigns, published newsletters, membership surveys, regular member emails, etc.
- Cultivate, promote, and safeguard GRIH’s unique brand and serve as a spokesperson.
- Direct GRIH’s media relations strategy, maintaining and growing list of media contacts and increasing publication distribution.
- Draft and ensure original op-eds are placed in respected traditional and online media.
- Craft and post press releases and staff statements.
- Update GRIH’s websites and marketing materials, as needed.
- Secure television, radio, and print news coverage for GRIH’s activity, members, and staff.
- Identify opportunities to further GRIH’s exposure.
- Build and maintain relationships with allies and partners.
- Participate in speaking engagements and on panel opportunities to showcase the work and mission of GRIH, as needed.
- Track, evaluate and report all communications activities for internal and external reporting.
- Represent association at national and state level conferences, as needed.
- Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
- Other duties as needed to fulfill mission of the association.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum one year experience in communications and public or media relations.
- Respect for deadlines, attention to detail, and commitment to quality.
- Proven experience in strategic marketing, writing promotional copy, direct sales, managing volunteers, supervision, short- and long-range planning, and public speaking.
- Philosophical alignment of association’s policy platform and mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship-building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and communications skills (both written and oral) with attention to detail.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work independently and in close coordination with others.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Experience working with spreadsheets in Excel, creating and presenting PowerPoint presentations, and familiarity with common mass email software.
- Professional experience in public policy.
- Social media experience.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary.
- Employee health plan.
How to apply
Please submit resume by clicking the button below.