- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Development
- Location: 901 N. Glebe Road, Suite 900 Arlington, VA 22203
- Application Deadline: February 28, 2022
The Institute for Justice is a public interest law firm that is on the front lines every day fighting to end widespread abuses of government power and secure the rights that allow all Americans to pursue their dreams. The financial support of nearly 10,000 individual donors makes our work possible. IJ’s development team ensures that these supporters see the real-world impact of their contributions and find new and additional sources of support for our work. IJ and its development program are growing, and we are seeking to add a new director-level position to our team.
The Director of Donor Communications at the Institute for Justice will oversee and execute IJ’s donor communications strategy to engage existing supporters with our work and introduce IJ and our mission to new audiences, with a particular emphasis on prospective donors. The Director of Donor Communications will work across IJ teams to gather information and stories, collaborate on compelling ways to communicate IJ’s mission and activity to donors and prospects, and work with senior staff to develop and implement plans.
The ideal candidate will have 7-10 years of experience managing and instituting donor communications strategies and products, including direct mail, email and online fundraising, and donor newsletters, annual reports, or other written materials. This position offers the successful candidate a unique opportunity to grow with and contribute actively to a highly successful $33 million organization, helping to shape the perception of IJ among a crucial audience. And as we aim to expand this audience, the potential for growth in the position is significant.
- Help IJ’s individual giving team by ensuring that each giving program (low-dollar, monthly, planned giving, and midpoint) has a communications strategy to engage new members, increase giving from current donors, and renew of lapsed donors, and by confirming that these strategies are complementary and consistent across development channels and programs
- Oversee content for housefile appeal
- Oversee content for donor acquisition letters
- Oversee digital communications with donors and prospects
- Oversee other online / mail communications with donors and prospects, including breaking news emails, institutional updates by mail or email, impact reports, and collateral material like handouts, inserts, and brochures
- Identify opportunities to get IJ’s message out to new audiences and work with senior development staff on execution and follow up to ensure return on investment
- Plan content for various donor communications vehicles, including Deep Dive with the Institute for Justice, Facebook Live interviews, and IJ LIVE calls
- Work with IJ’s design team to create designed products
- Supervise IJ’s Donor Communications Associate, including conducting regular check-in meetings, helping set goals and strategy, reviewing work product, and providing general guidance
- Manage IJ’s high-dollar individual prospect program, including developing and implementing new strategies to facilitate meetings and other one-on-one communication between senior IJ staff and top prospective supporters
- Assist with communications plan to increase donor interest in and participation at select donor events
- Proven experience managing and executing donor communications, including direct mail, email and online fundraising, and/or donor newsletters, annual reports, or other important institutional materials
- Experience developing new avenues and implementing new strategies to reach new and existing audiences
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise, and persuasive copy and correspondence to a variety of audiences
- 7-10 years of personnel management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with staff, donors, and others
- Strong attention to detail
- Commitment to promoting individual liberty and challenging government abuse
- Proficiency with Salesforce
- Proficiency with Marketo
- Command of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams)
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Institute for Justice offers full health, dental, and life insurance benefits; a retirement savings plan; and the opportunity to work with high-performing individuals in a collaborative, collegial, positive work environment.
How to apply
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter here detailing how your experience will ensure success in this position.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.