- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Communications, Government Affairs, Outreach, Policy
- Location: 3434 Washington Blvd, 4th Floor Arlington, VA 22201
- Application Deadline: November 30, 2020
If you’re dynamic, outgoing, and results-oriented with demonstrated experience successfully managing teams, projects, and deadlines, apply to be our next Director of State Outreach today.
To be successful in this role, you must be creative and self-motivated with excellent attention to detail. State government or policy-related experience, and familiarity with basic economic principles and market-oriented ideas, are required.
As the Director of State Outreach, you will lead a team of outreach specialists to inform and improve public policy. You’ll also create and implement effective state outreach strategies to connect our academic research with state outreach audiences. This role reports to the Vice President of Outreach.
- Leading a proactive approach to developing and executing effective state outreach strategies that connect Mercatus research with state policy audiences, which includes email marketing campaigns, attendance at conferences, and public presentations.
- Managing a state focused team of outreach specialists covering all Mercatus research areas;
- Educating Mercatus researchers on the evolving context of policy debates and potential opportunities to advance the use of their research by state policy audiences;
- Collaborating with policy research, communications, marketing, and events teams to ensure that Mercatus research is effectively disseminated to state policy audiences;
- Developing and strengthening effective relationships with state policy makers and staff so that Mercatus research informs and improves public policy;
- Ensuring full compliance with Mercatus policies; and
- Overseeing accurate, timely staff reporting.
- Currently, as travel is limited, major duties include overseeing schedule of state testimony, briefings and accelerated email marketing campaigns. Post-Covid, travel will comprise approximately 25% of the role.
- 7+ years of experience in public policy and/or related fields, preferably at the state level (executive or legislative staff, think tanks, etc.).
- Proven, effective leadership experience managing staff.
- Extensive knowledge of the state policy making process, with policy maker relationships at the state level.
- Understanding of the role of academic institutions, think tanks, and research centers in the policy making process.
- Demonstrated background of working effectively in a bi-partisan manner.
- Familiarity with some or all of Mercatus scholars’ policy research areas, including regulatory reform, health care reform, and land use/zoning issues.
- Desire to connect cutting edge research with today’s public policy challenges and an understanding of past Mercatus research.
- Excellent writing and public speaking capabilities.
- Experience using databases, managing email marketing campaigns, and measuring their effectiveness.
- Entrepreneurial spirit.
- Highly organized.
- Ability to work well on a team and facilitate collaboration on projects with multiple stakeholders.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and 12 free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.