- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Policy
- Contact: Manager@BuckeyeInstitute.org
- Location: 88 East Broad Street, Suite 1300 Columbus, OH 43215
- Application Deadline: May 31, 2021
The Economic Research Center (ERC) at The Buckeye Institute in Columbus, Ohio, is seeking to hire an economist.
The economist will engage in economic research, modeling, and policy-related writing. The economist reports to the ERC’s executive director and will collaborate with ERC and Buckeye staff in developing free-market solutions for a diverse range of public policy issues, including but not limited to fiscal (tax and budget), energy, labor, education, and health care.
- Model the potential economic impact of public policy proposals at the state level, examples include changes in tax law and energy prices;
- Write original, rigorously-researched, academic quality papers for publication;
- Effectively communicate—verbally and in writing—the effects of policy changes, including testifying before state legislatures to support Buckeye’s research (traveling as needed) and conducting media interviews;
- Explain complex statistical and economic issues to a lay audience and legislators;
- Develop and promote free-market policy ideas; and
- Work with the Economic Research Center’s executive director to achieve all of the Center’s objectives.
- Proficiency in a statistical programming language (STATA and MATLAB preferred);
- An advanced degree in economics (PhD strongly preferred);
- Initiative to start and complete work projects thoroughly and on-time;
- Ability to work independently and with a team;
- Demonstrated commitment to free-market principles;
- Excellent communication skills (in writing and public speaking);
- Ability to conduct independent, quantitative research; and
- Previous relevant academic research or related work experience.
Salary commensurate with applicable experience.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, résumé or C.V., salary requirements, a writing sample of not more than 10 pages, and two references of people who have overseen your past professional work or academic research to Manager@BuckeyeInstitute.org.