- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Operations
- Location: Virtual
State Policy Network is seeking an Event Director to join our fast-paced, growing events team. This position is ideal for an entrepreneurial event planner that is motivated by SPN’s mission of strengthening the state-based pro-liberty network of think tanks and non-profits.
The Event Director is a senior level position that will work directly with our Senior Director of Event Strategy to both manage the event team and help drive strategic event planning decisions and content creation. The Event Director will be responsible for event preparation, planning, and on-site execution for multiple events. SPN hosts 80-100 events annually. This includes assisting with SPN’s Annual Meeting, one of the largest events in the Liberty Network with over 1,300 attendees.
The Event Director’s role advances SPN’s mission and strategic objectives by planning events that communicate SPN’s key priorities and training and builds stronger relationships with our constituents. This position will require management of the event from concept to completion.
The Event Director can be based in SPN’s Arlington, VA headquarters or in a virtual office. This is a full-time position that includes travel (35%). Some events will require on-site execution and will occur outside of normal business hours.
Strategy & Relationship Building
- Partner with Senior Director of Event Strategy to drive organization event strategy and measures by developing key objectives, measurable goals for target audience
- Assist in management and coaching of growing event team
- With the Senior Director and other event team members, work across internal teams to collaborate and build strong partnerships for annual and long-term goals
- Ensure the highest level of customer service to reflect SPN’s brand to both internal and external customers.
- Ensure brand consistency and high-quality execution of each organization event.
- Drive overall event execution timeline, including all event-related activities from logistics (including food/beverage needs, audio-visual/production needs, travel and venue) to marketing timeline and program development.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for SPN’s Annual Meeting as well as leadership for key projects related to the execution of the event.
- Maintain and develop key vendor relationships in coordination with other event team members.
Budget, Metrics, and Processes
- Track event performance and metrics to evaluate event effectiveness.
- Calculate, track and report event budget. Recommend adjustments as necessary throughout planning process to ensure event effectiveness and adjustments that may need to be made to achieve event goals.
- Consistently evaluate on event team processes and procedures to recommend improvements and changes to make future events more effective
- 7-10 years of experience, including lead event management, experience in event planning, and staff management and coaching
- Ability to travel 35% (or more; this is dependent on the candidate’s location)
- Strong interest in furthering State Policy Network’s mission and impact
- Team player with upbeat personality, commitment to excellence, and superb interpersonal skills and a focus on customer service
- Demonstrates systems thinking and process creation
- A strong ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects effectively and problem-solve in time-sensitive situations
- An understanding of best practices in an events setting for social media, event registration, and event communications (experience with event registration platforms, including Cvent, is preferred)
- Extensive contract negotiation skills and outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, Power Point, Word, Salesforce and cloud-sharing programs
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/SPN’s mission, compensation requirements, location preference, and travel availability.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
“Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.”
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.