- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Development, Outreach
- Location: Virtual
Ballotpedia is a collaborative team of fast learners and creative problem solvers who are eager to work hard to make the world a better place. We believe the world will be a better place if every citizen has access to information to make informed decisions about their vote in every election in which they are eligible to vote: primary, general, and special elections; federal, state, and local offices.
We work diligently to present the available information about elections, candidates, judges, ballot measures, policies, and more in a way that enables our readers to vote with confidence and to act as engaged citizens outside of the polling booth.
Ballotpedia readers, like Ballotpedia staff, are special people.
When we launched in 2007, we did not go out of our way to seek new readers. Starting with our small team of visionary idealists, nerds, and aspiring political journalists, we just wrote the best unbiased online articles we could, especially about ballot measures. Readers found those articles in droves. It turns out there was an unclaimed audience out there—people who wanted straightforward facts about political issues, and were willing to read at length instead of just scanning the headlines.
“If you build it, they will come:” our readers came to our neutral oasis in growing numbers; we’ve had many millions of lifetime pageviews, we reached nearly half of all voters in 2020, and, in the month surrounding the November 2020 election, we were the 77th most-visited website in the U.S.
We’ve come to realize that we need to meet our readers where they are. In doing so, over the past five years, we’ve grown our email newsletter program from infancy to include more than 1,000,000 opt-in subscribers with more than a dozen newsletters to choose from. We are working in numerous ways to help put our neutral information in front of people at the times when they most need it, including on mobile phones while you’re standing in the voting booth. We firmly believe that our readers, and the mindset we help them cultivate, are essential to the preservation of our great civilization in a world where too many others are fighting to get us all addicted to sensational posts and the irrational decisions they foster.
If this is a mission you’d be willing to work hard to achieve, and if this is a team you’d be willing to work hard with—JOIN US.
Ballotpedia is seeking to hire a full-time, remote External Relations Coordinator to provide essential support and project management for its External Relations department. Ballotpedia’s External Relations department leads development, data sales and strategic partner functions on behalf of the organization with individuals and organizations nationwide. This position will provide comprehensive support to Ballotpedia’s External Relations department including scheduling, meeting planning, project management, document drafting and review and general administrative support.
The External Relations Coordinator will play an integral role in coordinating department activities and tracking department activities and successes. They will be responsible for planning various recurring and ad-hoc internal meetings and events for donors and other partners.
This dynamic position requires the ability to anticipate needs, think critically, and offer solutions to problems with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality. An ideal candidate has prior experience working in a support position and/or in a fundraising or sales environment.
The position reports to the Vice President of External Relations.
As an External Relations Coordinator you will:
- Provide sophisticated calendar management for the Vice President of External Relations prioritizing inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts gracefully; making judgements and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements.
- Provide administrative project management support and organization for the Vice President of External Relations and External Relations’ major department-level focus area projects (i.e. setting up and assisting with management of tasks in Asana and sending appropriate task reminders to the team).
- Assist with the Vice President of External Relations’ travel and meeting follow-up and next action coordination (i.e. coordinating notes and promptly entering important follow-up and tracking information in Salesforce).
- Coordinate, attend, and take notes for and capture next actions during key External Relations department meetings (including weekly department team meetings, cross-departmental meetings, and significant external meetings).
- Respond to donor and partner inquiries proactively, routing communications to the appropriate staff members.
- Assist with various mailings and donor recognition activities.
- Update, manage, organize, review, and archive department records.
- Support Ballotpedia’s data sales, by assisting in moving contracts through the approval process, managing cold call lists, conducting initial prospect outreach, and providing customer and sales support as needed.
- Conduct donor, customer, and partner research, as needed.
- Plan events for Ballotpedia’s Donor Club and assist in planning other ad-hoc special events.
- Attend in-person meetings, as required (2-3 times per year).
The ideal External Relations Coordinator will have:
- A demonstrated passion for Ballotpedia’s mission.
- A minimum of 1-3 years experience working in an administrative or program support role and/or in a fundraising or sales environment.
- Excellent judgment with ability to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Impeccable attention to detail, a love of logistics and organizing, and a passion for coordinating people and projects.
- An appreciation for and dedication to providing exceptional customer service in addition to a high degree of professionalism in dealing with diverse groups of people.
- Prior event and/or meeting planning experience plus, but not required.
- A desire to work collaboratively with Ballotpedia staff from multiple departments.
- Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
- A first-rate customer service mindset with a soft spot for hospitality and seamless experiences.
The External Relations Coordinator will work remotely from their home location. All Ballotpedia staff work remotely. To join Ballotpedia, you must have a computer with internet access. Ballotpedia uses Google Suite (Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, and more), Slack, and Asana to accomplish our goals. Some familiarity with the Google Suite, Slack, and Asana are helpful.
Ballotpedia has a flexible work environment, BP Flex, in which every employee enjoys unlimited vacation and flexibility in scheduling. Each employee will be oriented to the principles of Ballotpedia’s flexible environment during new employee training.
The pay range for the External Relations Coordinator is $40,000-$45,000, and will be commensurate with experience.
In addition to salary, Ballotpedia offers performance bonuses and a $7,000 annual benefits stipend, which can be used to pay for a full benefits package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; retirement accounts; and more. If benefits are not elected, the $7,000 stipend is treated as regular income and added to salary.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
To apply, visit Ballotpedia’s Job Opportunities page and fill out the form.
Please attach the following in PDF format:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in Ballotpedia’s mission and this position
Please ensure that either your résumé or cover letter include your current address. Applications without addresses will not be accepted.