- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Government Affairs, Litigation, Outreach, Policy
- Location: 3434 Washington Blvd, 4th Floor Arlington, VA 22201
- Application Deadline: February 22, 2021
If you’re dynamic, outgoing, and results-oriented with experience working in Congress or a federal agency, apply to be our next Federal Outreach Associate today. You’ll assist with the strategic development and implementation of research dissemination to Congress and federal agencies on a wide variety of issues from financial regulation and technological innovation to antitrust, fiscal issues, health care and entitlement reform. This role will serve as a generalist at first, with more specific issues areas assigned at a later date. The position works closely with members of the Outreach, Communications and Marketing, and Policy Research teams, and reports to the Vice President of Outreach.
- Develop proactive dissemination strategies to promote Mercatus policy research in several issue areas to policymakers, committees of jurisdiction, and federal agencies
- Proactively identify opportunities for federal policy engagement with research scholars
- Establish and expand network of Hill and agency contacts on relevant policy issues
- Regularly monitor current and anticipated policy action on assigned issues on Capitol Hill and federal regulatory agencies and provide relevant updates to teams in a timely manner
- Identify and secure opportunities for scholars to brief and testify before relevant committees, Members of Congress, and agency decision makers
- Coordinate timely internal communications and reporting between Outreach team and other Mercatus departments
- Work collaboratively with the Media Relations and Events teams to develop communications tools and materials for research promotion, but also independently when necessary
- Support internal and external events related to assigned issues
- Minimum of 2 years full-time experience working on Capitol Hill or a federal agency, with increasing levels of responsibility (Senate experience is a plus)
- Basic understanding or strong interest in learning primary issues: financial services, banking, judiciary committee, and secondary issues: health, fiscal/spending, labor, entitlement issues
- Strong network of Capitol Hill contacts and/or federal agencies preferred
- Knowledge of legislative process and familiarity with rulemaking procedures and regulatory policy analysis
- Effective writer and communicator, with excellent project management skills
- Good decision-maker who is organized, flexible, and prompt
- Strong attention to detail and high standards of excellence
- Outside of the box thinker who is a self-starter, and team-player with a sense of humor
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Economics, or related field
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.