- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Operations
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: July 30, 2021
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks a Finance Operations Associate to join the Finance Team. Working under the supervision of the Accounts Receivable Manager, the Finance Operations Associate will join a dynamic, cohesive team in supporting various programs and functions. This role will provide you the opportunity to learn more about non-profit accounting and gain experience in both operations and reporting. This role will also provide shared services to the Institute for Humane Studies (IHS).
- Process credit card and reimbursement reports, donations, and other accounts receivable
- Assist with the management and reconciliation of company credit card accounts
- Provide necessary support to program staff for successful program management and execution
- Reconcile bank statements against system data
- Work closely with HR teams and Director of Finance to collect and aggregate time sheets data
- Support the finance team on special projects
- Innovate and problem-solve while complying with standard accounting procedures and both the Mercatus Center’s and Institute for Humane Studies’ policies to maintain healthy and transparent organizations
- 0-2 years’ experience, preferably in a non-profit
- Associate’s degree, preferably in accounting or a related field
- Proficiency in Salesforce and Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent attention to detail and demonstrated organizational skills
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with a strong customer-focused orientation
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects effectively
- Discretion and integrity when handling sensitive materials
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic
- A strong commitment to individual freedom and an interest in the missions of the Mercatus Center and the Institute for Humane Studies
- Past finance, accounting or bookkeeping experience preferred, but not required
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
About the Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University
The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) supports and partners with university professors working within the classical liberal intellectual tradition. Our vision is that higher education becomes a place where the open exchange of ideas flourishes, and where ideas within the classical liberal tradition are regularly taught, discussed, challenged, and developed so that they inform scholarly and public discourse on the key challenges facing a free society.
Each year, IHS provides thousands of aspiring and established professors graduate student fellowships, career development support, research funding, and support for on-campus student programs. Most importantly, through its scholarly convenings IHS connects these scholars to one another to form a diverse and growing community of thought leaders advancing ideas essential to the good society—a pluralistic and tolerant society in which individuals and communities flourish in a context of openness, dignity, equality, and freedom.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.