- Type: Part-Time
- Disciplines: Communications, Outreach
- Contact: LMAY@FREESTATEFOUNDATION.ORG
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2018
The Free State Foundation is seeking an experienced, talented, and committed individual to support our team by enhancing our media outreach and communications efforts. The position may be filled on either a full-time or part-time basis, although part-time is preferred, at least initially. The position offers the opportunity for telecommuting for some portion of the work schedule.
The Digital Media and Website Coordinator will work closely with the FSF President and senior staff to boost the organization’s presence and effectiveness in the media, including social media and online.
To accomplish this objective, the Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Managing the FSF website, including upgrade and redesign of the website as needed, to further FSF’s messaging goals
- Creating and distributing well-designed Constant Contact messages (or similar email messages) on a regular basis to FSF’s subscriber lists
- Managing frequent postings on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites, as well as monitoring and responding to comments as necessary
- Working with the President and senior staff of FSF in planning, managing, and executing a social media strategy that supports FSF’s communications messaging and policy goals and enhances FSF’s leadership position as a leading free market think tank
- Building relationships with TV, radio, and print reporters to expand positive coverage of FSF’s priority issues
- Continually researching media decision-maker priorities and tailor FSF outreach accordingly
- Tracking and analyze media presence to quantitatively demonstrate impact
- Assisting in writing and distributing press releases
- Crafting persuasive talking points and preparing staff for media appearances
- 2-5 years of experience in media relations, marketing, communications or related professional work.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge or experience in telecommunications, Intellectual Property, or government regulation highly desirable.
- Fluency in using social media.
- Experience with website maintenance and design.
- Share a commitment to the free-market principles of FSF.
- People-savvy, well-organized and dedicated to success, both a team player and self-starter, and a creative problem solver.
About Free State Foundation
The Free State Foundation is a nonprofit think tank focused primarily on communications and Internet law and policy and intellectual property issues. Its primary purpose is to promote, through research and educational activities, understanding of free market, limited government, and rule of law principles at the federal level and in Maryland. The Foundation focuses on educating policymakers, opinion leaders, the press, and the general public concerning the need to eliminate unnecessary and counterproductive regulatory mandates, especially those applicable to communications, media, and high-tech markets; and on protecting individual and economic liberty; and making government more effective, efficient, and accountable.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- A resume that specifically includes your qualifications which are relevant to this position
- Cover letter describing (a) why you believe you are qualified for this position; (b) why you believe FSF’s mission is important; and (c) your salary requirements
- A writing sample, one which demonstrates your ability to explain an issue of some complexity in order to convey a message
Questions about the opening or PDF applications should be submitted to Laurie May, Secretary/Treasure of the Free State Foundation, as email@example.com.
Phone calls initiated by applicants will not be accepted during this initial screening period.