- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Development
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: August 1, 2019
Candidates for the position of Director of Membership should demonstrate an understanding of public policy from a free-market perspective, with special emphasis on the issues facing the state of Florida. Candidates must be energetic in promoting the views of The James Madison Institute (JMI) with a goal to increase the organizations overall funding. Candidates should have the skills required to communicate clearly through the spoken and written word. The person selected will work closely with JMI’s major gifts officer and need to build relationships with private foundations and individuals for the purpose of securing grants and donations. The Director of Membership will develop a strategic plan to build the organization’s membership through an existing direct-mail campaign and various other means.
The Director of Membership will be responsible for programs and long-term strategies to increase JMI’s funding. The duties include:
- Membership development and growth of the Institute.
- Management of all staff in the development department.
- Oversight of grant writing and relationships with foundations who support organizations such as JMI.
- Oversight and follow through of current direct-mail campaign and future growth of direct-mail opportunities.
- Organization, oversight and responsibility for possible fundraising and membership event opportunities, including the Institute’s Regional Leadership Councils.
- Establishment and oversight of an endowment and planned giving campaign.
- Oversight of a future capital campaign and other unique fundraising campaigns.
- Possible speaking engagements on behalf of JMI at community organizations, events and/or meetings.
- Development of mutually beneficial working relationships with other state and national policy organizations and foundations.
- Work with the JMI Policy and Communications leadership to grow the brand while increasing funding opportunities.
- Performance of other assigned duties as needed and appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum of two to four years of fundraising/membership experience.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office software suite, specifically Word and Outlook.
- Strong work ethic, highly self-motivated with attention to detail and ability to be a team player.
- Familiarity with membership database programs.
- Willingness to perform all tasks with a positive attitude and contribute to the team by performing miscellaneous tasks as needed/directed.
This is a full-time job is based in our Tallahassee office, but working remotely in Florida is negotiable.
Salary and bonus opportunities are competitive; negotiable dependent upon the selected applicant’s experience and qualifications. JMI also offers an equally competitive benefits package.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position/mission of the organization
Materials should be emailed to JMI’s Executive Vice President Becky Liner at email@example.com. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.