- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: Operations, Outreach, Policy
- Contact: email@example.com
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2019
The Independent Institute is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multimedia programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies that are grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. Applying independent thinking to issues that matter, we create transformational ideas for today’s most pressing social and economic challenges.
The Managing Editor is responsible for publications production at Independent, including overseeing the work of designers, copyeditors, and proofreaders, and indexers involved in the publishing of books, eBooks, audio books, journals, newsletters, white papers, and other items distributed by the Institute.
The Managing Editor assists the Senior Director of Publications in defining these projects and bears primary responsibility for the preparation, monitoring, and meeting of production and publishing schedules and for all follow-up actions, including the prompt payment of all vendors. The Managing Editor is also responsible for tightly integrating all production and publishing schedules with marketing, sales, and publicity schedules. To make certain that the various publications are published to specifications, on-schedule, and on-budget, the Managing Editor works closely with these teams, as well as with development, the research director, the heads of the Institute’s centers, the editors of The Independent Review and The Independent (quarterly newsletter), and the creators of event materials and of the Institute’s various monographs, briefings, reports, booklets, media collections. This includes, notably, the annual report, whose production is the personal responsibility of the Managing Editor.
- Direction. Lead the production department by overseeing its core publications functions, developing creative guidelines and then directing creative work, assigning production-staff duties and projects, and establishing follow-up actions to ensure that best practices are employed in the design, production, handling, and on-time delivery of all electronic and print materials.
- Editorial Assistance. Oversee or, as needed, directly assist with fact-checking and the editorial correction of journal articles, book manuscripts, and other products—at all levels of editing (substantive, copyediting, proofreading, all final pre-press quality-control steps, and page-proofs). Administer the work commissioned to all freelancers, picture researchers, printers, designers, the Library of Congress, Copyright Registration office, and others. Perform other routine administrative tasks as needed or as directed.
- Design. Oversee the execution of all creative efforts in the publications department to ensure that they maintain brand integrity, properly reflecting Independent’s mission, values, and commitment to excellence.
- Printing. Solicit printing bids for all products and personally oversee all print and delivery schedules to Independent, stakeholders, and all distributors of Independent products (e.g., IPG).
Note: Depending on experience, this position may be filled either as Managing Editor or Director of Publications. The position reports to the Senior Director of Publications and Public Affairs.
- A strong commitment to the ideas animating the Independent Institute.
- 3+ years of experience as managing editor.
- Prior experience as production editor a necessity.
- Copyediting, proofreading, or indexing experience a definite plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Digital and social media dexterity.
- Flawless writing skills and faultless organizational abilities.
- Appropriate educational credentials are a plus (e.g., B.A. and/or M.A. in policy, economics, or the humanities).
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Please send a letter detailing your interest in and readiness for the position and explaining your alignment with the mission of the Independent Institute. It should be accompanied by a resume, writing samples, and a short list of references. Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org.