- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Outreach
- Location: 901 N. Glebe Road, Suite 900 Arlington, VA 22203
- Application Deadline: August 31, 2021
The Institute for Justice’s Activism Team seeks a bright and driven person with a passion for cities, entrepreneurship, and municipal policy to join our Cities Work initiative.
Through strategic and multi-faceted grassroots advocacy, IJ’s Activism Team vindicates the rights of individuals to freely pursue their hopes and dreams, unencumbered by excessive regulation and government overreach. Activism trains and organizes activists, holds government officials accountable, collaborates with decision makers, and changes laws.
Our Cities Work initiative is dedicated to helping entrepreneurs earn an honest living by cutting red tape and regulations to make it cheaper, faster, and simpler to start and run a business at the local level. We work with entrepreneurs and city officials to reduce barriers to business creation, speed up the startup process, and simplify existing rules and city codes. Activism seeks to expand its project capacity for Cities Work by welcoming a Municipal Policy Assistant who is dedicated to the initiative’s mission. The Assistant will work closely with the Cities Work Team on our efforts to reform laws that create unnecessary barriers for entrepreneurs.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on a new area of IJ Activism. The Assistant will help execute grassroots outreach strategies, work with legislative advocates on reform efforts in g cities, assist with groundbreaking research, and work as needed on other projects across the Team. The position requires someone who is detail-oriented, hard-working, entrepreneurial, and who has a passion for policy and entrepreneurship. An ideal candidate will enjoy working in a collaborative environment both internally and externally as well as be comfortable working on multiple projects at once. The candidate should possess a deep commitment to the principles of entrepreneurship, economic liberty, and the overall mission of the Institute for Justice.
The Municipal Policy Assistant will:
- Coordinate outreach efforts, manage contacts, and schedule communications with small business owners, entrepreneurs, and policymakers.
- Monitor city and state legislative activity in areas of interest and monitor small business and entrepreneurship reform efforts across the country.
- Assist in developing the initiative’s online presence and outreach, including social media advertising, branding, and contacting potential leads or contacts for city campaigns.
- Provide support to the Cities Work Team on research projects, legislative endeavors, and grassroots outreach.
- Research policy topics related to business regulation, entrepreneurship, municipal regulation, and other areas.
- Help determine research, grassroots, and advocacy strategies.
- Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be highly attentive to detail, and possess exceptional research and writing skills, excellent interpersonal skills, a background and interest in public policy (through curriculum or practice), a record of demonstrated initiative and leadership, and a strong commitment to individual freedom and economic liberty.
- Experience, professional or otherwise, with advocacy work and community outreach is a plus, but not necessary.
This is a full-time position that is temporarily remote due to COVID, but will eventually be based out of IJ’s Arlington, VA headquarters once the office fully reopens. Occasional travel may be required. Applicant should be comfortable working both in an office environment and alongside activists in the community.
How to apply
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications here.
No phone calls, please.
IJ is an equal opportunity employer.