- Type: Part-Time
- Discipline: Operations
- Location: 3434 Washington Blvd, 4th Floor Arlington, VA 22201
- Application Deadline: March 30, 2020
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks an outgoing, team-oriented part-time Office Assistant. In this role, you’ll provide support to facilitate smooth office function and provide a welcoming environment to staff and visitors.
This position will also provide shared services to Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) and report to the Office Manager.
- Greet and direct guests.
- Answer phone calls and direct the caller to the appropriate associate.
- Receive, sort and forward incoming mail, and coordinate the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.).
- Assist with office moves, such as relocating desks and other office equipment and furniture.
- Assist in receiving and storing office supplies and materials.
- Validate parking tickets for office visitors.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Polished professional with outgoing attitude; a team player.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in general office applications.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of general office machines.
- Ability to lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For nearly 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
The Mercatus Center provides a professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth. The employee will also receive 6 free credits at George Mason University.
About the Institute for Humane Studies at George Mason University
Each year, the Institute for Humane Studies awards over $1 million in scholarships to students from universities around the world. IHS also sponsors the attendance of hundreds of students at its summer seminars and provides various forms of career assistance, including mentoring, a job board, and online career development seminars. Through its programs, the Institute promotes the study of liberty across a broad range of disciplines, encouraging understanding, open inquiry, rigorous scholarship, and creative problem-solving.
IHS is a recognized leader in the development of talented students, scholars, and other intellectuals who share an interest in liberty and in advancing the principles and practice of classical liberalism. IHS, founded in 1961, is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization, based at George Mason University, that works with students and scholars across a broad range of academic and professional disciplines.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission.