- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Contact: email@example.com
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: January 1, 2019
Pacific Legal Foundation—the nation’s first and most successful public interest law firm dedicated to vindicating individual liberty—seeks a managing editor who appreciates vibrant storytelling as much as writing strong ledes and destroying passive language.
PLF has more than 130 active cases across the nation, including cases before the United States Supreme Court. We have no shortage of stories, but they are buried in complex legalese. PLF needs a pen-wielding Indiana Jones to uncover them and bring them out into the world.
- Editing op-eds, blog posts, and magazine articles
- Shepherding the production of a quarterly magazine, Sword & Scales, from conception to print
- Pitching compelling stories
- Managing an editorial calendar
- Writing original content, when needed
This role will work as a member of an experimental and energetic team reporting to PLF’s Content Director, Jaclyn Boudreau. PLF’s communications team is growing and improving, as part of the organization’s strategic plan to define the next generation public interest law firm. As part of this plan, PLF encourages ambitious professional development plans.
As a successful candidate, you should have:
- A background in writing and editing
- A commitment to your audience, above all else
- Experience distilling complex, technical ideas into everyday language
- The ability to work collaboratively across departments and job roles
We strongly prefer that the Managing Editor work from PLF’s office in Arlington, VA, but exceptional candidates may be considered for other PLF offices, or virtually from home.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
- Résumé, including your experience messaging ideas affecting liberty and your professional experience.
- Cover letter detailing your sincere interest in this position and PLF.
- Two writing samples or a link to your portfolio.
- In your email, please include “Managing Editor–[Your Name]” in the subject line and indicate your compensation requirements.
- Materials should be emailed to Dawn Gonzales, Director of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
This is a full-time, permanent position. PLF is committed to recruiting and retaining the highest quality talent available nationwide, and we offer a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, medical and dental insurance, and employer-paid retirement savings. We take work-life balance seriously through our generous paid leave and flextime policies. We have a flexible, collaborative, positive, and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in your future and encourage internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power. Join us.