- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Policy
- Location: 1212 New York Ave NW Suite 900 Washington, DC 20005
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
The R Street Institute— a think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic project manager to manage the Cybersecurity and Emerging Threats (Cyber) team’s Making Space initiative. The project manager will report to the cyber policy director. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity for you.
Making Space was born from a pledge by R Street’s Cyber team to increase the diversity of speakers and experts in the cyber policy space. The initiative commits to include women or members of another under-represented community at every panel we host that includes three or more speakers. Since its roll out, more than 40 think tanks, universities, foundations, corporate partners and individuals have joined the effort.
The Cyber team is now looking to expand Making Space’s impact by collaborating with #ShareTheMicInCyber to create the “Cyber-Base,” a talent list of Black cybersecurity professionals. Our long-term goal for the project is to find ways to amplify and support the many diverse voices in the cyber policy sphere, as well as to nurture and promote new talent. Put simply, we believe that diversity is security.
Your typical day at R Street may include reaching out to coalition partners; coordinating panel participants; managing tasks associated with the planning and logistics of new diversity initiatives; working to populate and update the talent list and the associated website(s); and potentially, writing op-eds or other communications products meant to publicize and support the various pieces of the Making Space initiative. You will also participate in team meetings, discussions with external partners and internal debates about the direction of projects. The most important aspect of this role is demonstrated project management skill and the ability to take the reins of a complex project and carry it through from early stage planning to completion.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Work with R Street’s communications team to maintain the Making Space website and craft social media content
- Assist with event planning for events related to and outside of the Making Space initiative, including Hack the Capitol
- Oversee outreach strategy to expand pledge and talent list
- Program management support to policy director
- Periodic lookout shifts to guard against ninja infiltration
Skills and Qualifications
- Interest in cybersecurity or national security and/or DEI initiatives, particularly in the public policy space
- A desire to collaborate
- Strong communication skills
- A disciplined self-motivator
- Sense of ownership of work; initiative and results mindedness
- No particular educational background is required: proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials
- A mindset and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization
R Street offers a flexible working arrangement. Candidates may either work remotely from their home or from our D.C. offices. Currently, our D.C. offices are closed and we are working remotely.
Compensation, Benefits and Perks
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide the following benefits and perks:
- Unlimited paid time off policy, including all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving and two weeks holiday closure in December’
- Alternating Fridays off
- A health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families)
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match
- HSA employer contribution match
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
- Mobile equipment reimbursement
- Internet subsidy
- Monthly mobile plan reimbursement
- Annual educational and professional development reimbursement
- An option between a child care assistance, pet care assistance or student loan repayment assistance reimbursement
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or nonsensical to use as a basis for hiring, and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact qualified individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. Due to COVID-19, we will hold interviews virtually, via Zoom, until our D.C. office reopens.
How to apply
To apply, you must upload a resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format.