- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Outreach
- Contact: email@example.com
- Location: 2560 Huntington Avenue Suite 301 Alexandria, VA 22303
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2021
The Association of American Educators (AAE) is seeking applicants for a Regional Membership Director to serve members and grow membership in California. This position works from the AAE office in Orange County, California, and/or a home office, and will travel extensively throughout those states to meet prospective and current members.
The Association of American Educators is a non-profit, non-union professional educator association that seeks to foster the transformation of the teaching profession by empowering and supporting a community of professionals for the benefit of our students and the nation. AAE serves members in all fifty states in all school types. AAE is committed to a teaching profession that is student-oriented, well respected, and personally fulfilling. AAE is a forward-thinking, reform-minded organization, primarily serving K-12 public district and public charter school educators. AAE is a leader in advancing education and labor reform. AAE’s mission is also supported by AAE Foundation, a 501(c)(3) that works closely with AAE, a 501(c)(6). AAE and AAE Foundation empower and amplify educator voices committed to student achievement and teaching excellence. For more information visit aaeteachers.org.
The Regional Membership Director is responsible for increasing membership through the development and implementation of strategies for membership growth and retention throughout California. This position reports to AAE’s executive director and is supported by national staff and works in a team of regional directors nationwide.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Travel: 60% in the field (concentrated during the school year)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Increase AAE’s professional membership in California.
- Support and retain AAE’s existing membership base in California.
- Visit schools to meet with teachers, support staff, and administrators to introduce AAE and recruit new members.
- Create opportunities to present AAE to educators throughout California.
- Represent AAE at conference and teacher gatherings in California.
- Support AAE members utilizing professional membership benefits including legal support, liability insurance, shopping and entertainment discounts, and teaching resources.
- Solicit applications and present awards for AAE’s Teacher Scholarship & Classroom Grant program for California.
- Assist educators in California exercise their association rights.
- Develop, implement, and maintain meaningful written and web-based communications which promote AAE and support California educators (travel expenses are covered).
- Execute grant-specific obligations regarding number of presentations, schools visited, and member development goals.
- Build and maintain relationships with allies and decision makers who support the project goals.
- Collaborate with AAE staff regarding professional development and media relations.
- Track, evaluate and report all membership and renewal activities in California.
- Represent association at national and state level conferences, as needed.
- Coordinate and assist with implementation of association logistics for conferences.
- Respond to requests for information from members.
- Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
- Other duties as needed to fulfill mission of the association.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum three years in membership services or sales and marketing experience.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout California.
- Proven experience in direct sales, managing volunteers, short- and long-range planning, and public speaking.
- Philosophical alignment of association’s policy platform and mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship-building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving skills and communications skills (both written and oral) with attention to detail.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work independently and from a home office.
- Experience working with spreadsheets in Excel, creating and presenting with PowerPoint.
- Professional experience in K-12 education.
- Professional experience in California school community.
- Professional experience in California charter school community.
- Understanding of education reform issues.
- Experience in issue advocacy or political campaigns.
- Experience in marketing and sales at trade shows.
- Experience in membership association industry.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and performance incentives.
- Employee health and retirement plan (with matching).
- Travel and technology compensation.
This is a full-time position. Days of work are Monday through Friday. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
How to apply
Send cover letter with salary requirements (not a salary history) and professional resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention CA Position.