- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Policy
- Location: 1212 New York Ave NW Suite 900 Washington, DC 20005
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks an expert on national security and cybersecurity to join a growing world-class team focused on finding real solutions to some of the toughest challenges that society faces in these areas. If you are the right fit, you will report to the Institute’s Director of National Security and Cybersecurity. If you want to join an energetic organization and do something extraordinary, this may be just the opportunity you need.
Your typical day at R Street would include finishing edits on a major policy paper that you drafted, writing a new op-ed on cybersecurity topics; doing a television interview on a recent cyber intrusion; and briefing a senior Congressional staffer on R Street’s latest national security white paper.
- Scholarship and Writing. Producing world-class scholarship intended to find real solutions on a timely basis to challenging and complex national security and cybersecurity problems, including conducting independent research and producing a range of high-quality written products for a wide variety of audiences, ranging from scholarly articles to blog posts.
- Leadership. Engaging at a leadership level with an array of public and private sector stakeholders on difficult national security and cyber matters at national and international conferences, in high-profile media engagements, in private meetings with policymakers and in other educational contexts. Identifying and addressing emerging issues, especially those involving cutting-edge technologies like artificial intelligence.
- Teamwork. Supporting the entire R Street National Security and Cybersecurity team in developing and maintaining the highest standards of scholarship; identifying and engaging effectively with key donors and writing grant proposals; and responding quickly and insightfully to fast-changing world and national events.
R Street has high expectations and standards, but we also strive to create a collaborative and supportive team environment.
Other aspects of this role:
- Be excellent—all of your work and interactions should be world-class.
- Be nice—support your teammates, pitch in, and don’t be a jerk.
- Be open-minded and assertive at the same time—think critically, speak your mind and be open to being wrong.
- Business development—help develop and maintain great relationships with new and current donors.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with other policy programs and divisions within R Street, such as communications and government affairs, to accomplish established goals and identify cross-cutting opportunities.
- Identify new and unique policy initiatives that will attract support from a wide range of donors.
- Advanced degree(s) in relevant fields plus at least five years of post-graduate experience.
- Exceptional analytical and communications skills with an ability to synthesize complex information quickly and explain complicated concepts clearly and concisely.
- Superior interpersonal skills and a strong team orientation.
- Strong writing skill as demonstrated by published work.
- Relevant practical experience in a public or private sector cybersecurity or national security role.
- Ability to serve effectively in a cross-functional role, working simultaneously with several different R Street organizational units.
- Excellent attention to detail and an ability to manage effectively competing interests and priorities.
- Passion for free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C. and requires a daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); a wellness benefit; an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with up to a 4% match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure, or anything else that is illegal, immoral, or inappropriate to use as a basis for hiring.
The organization currently plans to accept applications for this job until filled. Ideal individuals will be contacted for phone interviews, and these will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will take place in R Street’s DC office.
How to apply
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample in Microsoft Word or PDF format by clicking “Apply” below.