- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Policy
- Location: 1212 New York Ave NW Suite 900 Washington, DC 20005
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2020
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional offices across the country—seeks a skilled, energetic and experienced senior fellow to join and help shape the direction of our national security and cybersecurity program. We want somebody who lives and breathes cybersecurity—who knows the field from many angles and has a passion for applying practical knowledge to pressing policy challenges—and who understands it in the context of the broader national security interests of the United States.
Cybersecurity is one of R Street’s premier policy areas. Our current team brings extensive knowledge from long careers at high levels in the military, government and private industry. Our staff regularly appear on major television networks, testify before Congress and write for the nation’s largest newspapers. We want somebody to join and further advance an already strong and healthy team. In this context, we are particularly interested in candidates who offer diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Your typical day at R Street might include finishing edits on a paper about 5G technology, consulting with a congressional staffer about the cybersecurity elements of a proposed financial services bill, giving a colleague comments on an op-ed they have written and meeting with allies to discuss plans for a joint briefing on Capitol Hill.
Other Aspects of Your Role
- Oversee two resident fellows and three non-resident senior fellows that comprise the cybersecurity and national security team.
- Help formulate a national security and cybersecurity policy strategy with internal operational (strategy and business development) and integrated policy (technology and innovation) units.
- Build connections between the cybersecurity and national security communities.
- Work with R Street’s external collaborators to advance joint objectives in the cybersecurity realm.
- Speak to the media and at public gatherings with comfort across omnichannel communications.
- Develop alliances and partnerships with industry, governmental and nonprofit players.
Skills and Qualifications
- 10 or more years of experience in cybersecurity, with connections to the law enforcement, national security and intelligence communities. People who have approached the field from a variety of perspectives—such as those who have worked in both the private sector and for law enforcement—are particularly desirable.
- Proven public speaking skills; experience on television is a plus.
- Experience dealing with the media.
- Excellent writing ability, ideally as demonstrated by a meaningful mix of scholarly and non-academic publications.
- A proven network of contacts relevant to the position and a reputation in the field.
- Alignment with our mission of advancing free markets and limited, effective government.
- A sense of humor and a desire to grow with a dynamic organization.
This is a full-time job. For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, it can be done from your home. Going forward, it will be based in Washington, D.C. The job will require some travel inside and outside the United States.
R Street has experience working with individuals whose work must go through review for national security purposes. Previously having worked extensively with sensitive information should not be a barrier to applying for this job. No particular educational background is required: Proven ability to achieve results is far more important than credentials
R Street is proud to be on Washingtonian Magazine’s Great Places to Work list and we’re proud to provide a top-notch working environment. As such, we strive to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families), wellness benefits, an employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit, 401(k) contributions with up to a 4 percent match and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity, relationship structure or anything else that’s illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. We will contact ideal individuals for telephone interviews and conduct them on a rolling basis. We will plan to conduct later round interviews by video conference but may request in-person interviews at some point depending on the operating status of Washington, D.C.
How to apply
To apply, please upload a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format. If you are unable to describe previous positions in detail or name the particular places you worked, please use your resume and cover letter to outline your competencies and interest in this job.