- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Policy
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2021
The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is a law and policy organization based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Established in 2011, WILL has become one of the preeminent state-based litigation centers, growing to eight lawyers. In addition, WILL has added a “think tank” component focused on policy evaluation and the crafting of proposals for reform. Through strategic litigation and timely policy reports, WILL seeks to advance the public interest in free markets, limited government, individual liberty and a robust civil society, including educational freedom and reform.
About the Position
WILL is hiring a Senior Research Analyst to join our growing policy team and further expand our research and policy agenda. The Senior Research Analyst will work directly with the Policy Director, Director of Education Policy, and Research Director to develop timely and strategic research that will further WILL’s mission and policy agenda.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated competencies in empirical research methods and the ability to communicate complicated ideas into a clear, concise format for public consumption. Candidates can either work from our office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, or virtually.
A background in the one or more of the following policy areas is preferred:
- Economic Freedom
Salary is competitive with an attractive benefits package, including health, life, dental, HSA and 401(k) plan. Office is based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, however a virtual office will be considered for the right candidate.
- Regularly author or co-author comprehensive, op-eds, blogs and other content as necessary to further the public discourse on issues relevant to WILL’s mission
- Participate in designing and executing empirical legal and economic studies including data collection methods, coding, quality control and analysis
- Craft policy recommendations, analyze legislative proposals and provide expert testimony to policymakers when necessary
- Provide expert commentary on issues and original research to the public through webinars, event appearances, and media appearances
- Assist the policy team with various tasks as assigned
- The ideal candidate likely has 1-3 years of relevant experience
- Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, political science, economics, or another related field with experience in empirical research is preferred, but candidates with practical experience will also be considered
- A policy background with an emphasis on healthcare, budget, taxes, and/or economic freedom is preferred
- Strong analytical and research skills with an ability to analyze and interpret statistical results with a demonstrated knowledge of statistical programs, such as a STATA and R
- An ability to create graphic visualizations of complex data through charts, graphs and infographics is a plus
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to craft a clear, concise message targeted at policymakers and the public
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with an ability to advance projects in a self-directed manner
- Team player with a sense of humor and willingness to network and help with fundraising (although fundraising experience is not required)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and willingness to take risks
- Solid commitment to the mission of the organization
- Prior experience in the freedom movement is a plus
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing interest in position, alignment with WILL’s mission, salary requirements
- Names and contacts (email and phone) of at least three professional references
- One sample of empirical research reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
- If available, one advocacy writing sample (i.e., an op-ed or blog post) reflecting solely the applicant’s own work
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link:
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.