- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Communications
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: October 4, 2019
State Policy Network is a national nonprofit organization pursuing a vision of an America where personal freedom, innovation, opportunity, and a more peaceful society help all Americans flourish. State Policy Network was founded to support the growth of a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of state think tanks including 65 independent state think tank affiliates and over 90 associate partners. SPN works side-by-side with these leaders to catalyze thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored with high-performing independent think tanks.
We do this by:
- Incubating think tanks and accelerating their development through strategic planning, training, and coaching;
- Connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, with the aim of cultivating state solutions that collectively yield national impact; and,
- Defending the 50-state think tank network by disseminating best practices, critical resources when members are attacked, and fighting assaults on free speech and donor privacy.
SPN seeks a Communications Manager to oversee the production of SPN’s publications and training materials, which equip SPN’s target audiences with solutions, strategies, and messaging to advance free-market, state-based policy solutions. This position will also work alongside SPN’s Director of Marketing to execute SPN’s digital strategies, which focus on positioning SPN.org as the go-to resource for state-based policy solutions, strategies, news, and connections.
This position reports to SPN’s Director of Marketing.
- Manage editorial calendar for SPN publications, website content, and email.
- Manage all aspects of SPN’s publication process, from concept to editing and design to review and publication.
- Assist with editing and proofreading publications and training materials, providing writing assistance as necessary and maintaining consistency with SPN’s brand voice.
- Set and drive production timelines and coordinate with authors, designers, reviewers and printers (if needed) to ensure goals, deliverables, and deadlines are met.
- Proofread, format, and post SPN training content for SPN’s Member Portal.
- Assist with writing, proofreading, and publishing content for SPN.org, including curating news and success stories from SPN members through SPN’s various channels.
- Maintain SPN.org, including updating content and working alongside the Director of Marketing on projects involving the iteration or addition of features to SPN.org.
- Write, proofread, and format SPN’s email newsletters, including the SPN Connector, Annual Meeting updates, program-specific newsletters, and event communications.
- Assist with populating, monitoring, and measuring the results of SPN’s social media channels.
- Assist Director of Marketing with tracking and reporting key content and marketing metrics.
- Participate in weekly SPN staff and Communications Team meetings, as well as a weekly meeting with the Director of Marketing.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Strong ability to take initiative, prioritize, balance multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Familiarity with AP Style and Chicago Manual of Style
- Familiarity with WordPress CMS
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop preferred
This position may be based out of SPN’s headquarters in Arlington, VA, or a virtual office.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials by clicking “Apply” below.
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/SPN’s mission and compensation requirements.
Questions can be addressed by Denise Stevenson: Stevenson@spn.org. While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. SPN is an equal-opportunity employer. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.