- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Government Affairs
- Contact: carrie@Excelined.org
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
The Vice President of Advocacy directs the organization’s state advocacy program with governor’s offices, state legislatures, state departments of education and state and national-level education advocacy partners across the nation. The Vice President manages an 11-person advocacy team, and interfaces daily with the CEO and executive team to develop and provide strategic support to state leaders and local advocates on advancing student-centered education policy that transforms education for the 21st century.
- Develops and executes the organization’s national and state-specific advocacy strategies for advancing student-centered education policies.
- Supports states in advancing education policies aligned with state needs and context through the adoption and implementation of legislation or executive actions.
- Communicates with state leaders and education advocates to provide strategic advice and support on policy development, adoption and implementation.
- Designs the organization’s state advocacy action plans annually; prioritizes and directs state engagement for maximum effectiveness and impact; achieves state advocacy action plan outcome goals.
- Recommends annual investments in paid advocacy strategies to advance the c4 organization’s legislative agenda.
- Triages support requests from states and makes recommendations on resource commitments.
- Coordinates with the Vice President and National Director of Policy to analyze legislation and administrative rules and provide expert testimony that advances the organization’s policy agenda.
- Builds and manages state and national partner relationships and participates in donor outreach to maintain and strengthen relationships.
- Oversees lawmaker and policymaker engagement to achieve National Summit on Education annual scholarship attendee goals.
- Represents the Foundation at state and national events.
- Manages the tracking of state advocacy outcomes, deliverables, and legislative impact for grant, board and organizational reporting.
- Directs the development of briefing materials for state leaders, candidates, the Board Chairman, and CEO. Conducts briefings upon request.
- Ability to speak publicly, often before legislators.
- Strong organizational, management, relationship-building, and teamwork skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to advocate for student-centered education policies.
- High level of knowledge of education policy and state-level politics.
- Strong understanding of political and legislative processes.
The position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent with at least five years of experience in campaign management, state-level advocacy and/or working in the legislative or executive branch of government. A background in Social Science, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Policy, and/or an associated subject is desirable.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Please submit your resume to Carrie@ExcelinEd.org. You will be contacted if selected for further consideration.