- Type: Full-Time
- Disciplines: CEOs, Operations
- Location: 111 Monument Circle Suite 2650 Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Application Deadline: February 15, 2022
Reporting directly to the President/CEO, the Vice President is responsible for EdChoice’s state programs and will oversee EdChoice’s Focused State Investment team, which is responsible for planning, designing, implementing, managing, and evaluating state-based policy, outreach, advocacy and grantmaking efforts. The Vice President will promote and represent the EdChoice mission of school choice for all and work to ensure state efforts are successful and aligned with the mission of EdChoice.
The Vice President will supervise the Director of Policy, Directors of State Relations, State Policy Associate, external contractors, vendors, and lobbyists.
The preferred location for this position is Central Indiana, where EdChoice is headquartered, but exceptional candidates will be considered for a virtual office.
EdChoice is the nation’s oldest school choice advocacy organization. Established in 1996, we are a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to advancing full and unencumbered educational choice as the best pathway to successful lives and a stronger society. EdChoice believes that families, not bureaucrats, are best equipped to make K-12 schooling decisions for their children. The organization works at the state level to educate diverse audiences, train advocates, and engage policymakers on the benefits of high-quality education choice programs. EdChoice is the intellectual legacy of Milton and Rose D. Friedman.
Policy and Government Affairs: Manage and oversee team that undertakes the following policy and government affairs activities:
- Lead state policy and advocacy efforts with state and national partners and policymakers so that they better understand the issue of unencumbered educational choice and are better prepared to successfully advance the issue of educational liberty for all parents.
- Lead state educational efforts and briefings aimed at educating partners, influencers, and policymakers on the need for and benefits of universal educational choice.
- Assist with effective bill design that facilitates the development of quality educational choice policies that are shared with and agreed to by a majority of trusted local and state partners.
- Lobby and/or engage lobbyists to pass legislation and assist in rulemaking and policy implementation.
- Coordinate with other EdChoice teams to facilitate the successful use of our research, training, legal, and communications work.
- Provide expert testimony, tactical research and communications and policy briefings that increase and/or secure support for quality educational choice policies.
Team Management: Manage and oversee all aspects of the state team, specifically:
- Advise, mentor, and manage team to be successful and ensure their work is aligned to the mission and vision of EdChoice.
- Ensure the team meets their annual metrics and reviews those metrics regularly.
- Undertake ongoing assessments of each team member, including an annual and semi-annual review of work quality and effectiveness.
- Assist in the development and review of cross-team action plan to promote educational choice.
- Regularly communicate with other team Vice Presidents to ensure effective oversight of work and alignment to vision.
Budgeting and Planning: Develop and manage all state-based budgets and plans, including:
- Undertake regular review of Model State efforts and assess their effectiveness.
- Annually recommend list of target states and develop goals and objectives for each state.
- Write twice yearly board reports on all state-based efforts.
- Develop, implement, and oversee annual budget.
Partnership Building: Manage and oversee team to undertake activities that increase the number and quality of educational choice supporters by:
- Identifying, recruiting, and engaging a broad and diverse set of local policymakers and community leaders, and cultivating relationships with both existing and new partners.
- Undertaking efforts to build and strengthen local coalitions and infrastructure that can operate and fund itself.
- Assisting in the development of a strategic action plan and timetable to promote educational choice.
Grant Development and Management: Manage, oversee, review, and approve the successful implementation of a state specific grant budget that funds one or more local or state partners to:
- Educate policymakers and their influencers.
- Enable partner organizations to shore up specific efforts or dimensions of their work that would accelerate the state on the pathway to full and unencumbered choice.
- Undertake specific training or outreach projects, research or activities that increase the number and quality of state and local partners.
Education and Experience
- 10+ years of experience in advocacy, public policy or community relations; experience managing a team.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in building partnerships.
- Prior experience in advocacy, public policy and community relations required.
- Strong experience working with local and state-based organizations.
- Expert knowledge of legislation, the legislative process, and how to communicate with policymakers.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Must be aligned to EdChoice mission and vision of universal choice.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel as needed (20-30%) to support the work of EdChoice Focused State Investment team.
- Excellent at building and maintaining relationships and capable of reaching out to people and organizations who may not share the EdChoice vision.
- A self-starter who is adaptable and handles challenges and adversity with tact and grace.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing
- your interest in the position,
- EdChoice’s mission,
- and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.