- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Litigation
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: 11480 Commerce Park Dr, Suite 600 Reston, VA 20191
- Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
Young America’s Foundation is leading the fight for students’ rights on campus. The staff attorney will play an important role in building upon and expanding YAF’s crucial work in this area.
In 2018, after more than 18 months of litigation, YAF scored a major First Amendment victory over the University of California, Berkeley. The Foundation’s important work on this issue inspired the Justice Department to act—filing a statement of interest in the Berkeley case—and elevated a national conversation about free speech rights on campus.
Through YAF’s Censorship Exposed project, YAF is utilizing freedom of information laws to expose viewpoint discrimination and bias on campuses. As a result, YAF is opening doors for conservative ideas in America’s schools.
As the principal outreach organization of the Conservative Movement, YAF leverages its robust campus lecture program and essential conferences to inspire students with the ideas of individual freedom, a strong national defense, free enterprise, and traditional values.
The staff attorney will work in close collaboration with and report directly to the General Counsel to protect students’ rights on high school and college campuses. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, conducting legal research, reviewing contracts, writing, editing, public speaking, filing public record request with public colleges and universities and reviewing documents response to these requests, analyzing campus speech codes, and tracking campus free speech legislation.
Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor.
- Must have an active bar license.
- Experience (including internships) in the practice of law is a plus.
- Committed to and enthusiastic about Young America’s Foundation’s mission and programs.
- Strong legal research and writing skills.
- Willing to travel.
- Self-motivated and capable of accomplishing tasks with minimal supervision.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work as a collaborative, constructive team member.
*Preference given to candidates with history of activity in YAF programs.
Commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, professional references, and salary history to:
Mark Trammell, Esq., Acting General Counsel
Young America’s Foundation
11480 Commerce Park Drive, Sixth Floor
Reston, Virginia 20191
*Incomplete applications ( i.e. those suggesting references upon request) will not be considered.