On June 27, the US Supreme Court released a landmark decision in Janus v. American Federation of State, Country, and Municipal Employees, Council 31, ruling in favor of plaintiff Mark Janus, a child support specialist who works for Health Care & Family Services and believes he should be able to keep his job without being forced to support political agendas he disagrees with. This ruling restores First Amendment rights not just to Mark Janus, but to all public sector workers. Five million public servants in 22 states no longer have to pay a government union as a condition of employment.
Shortly after the decision was released, State Policy Network’s Senior Policy Advisor, F. Vincent Vernuccio, joined Stuart Varney on Fox Business to discuss the impact of the decision. Vernuccio observed, “It’s a major blow for forced unionism and compelled speech, but it is a great day for the First Amendment and for public employees in the 22 non-right-to-work states where unions can actually get workers fired for not paying them.”
Watch the full interview to learn what the Janus v. AFSCME decision means for public sector workers and government unions.
Help public sector workers learn about their rights
This is a long-awaited victory for worker freedom, but the work has just begun. The network now has an opportunity to help workers understand how this decision affects them. In the months leading up to this decision, government union leaders have been hard at work in localities and states to apply pressure on workers and put hurdles in the way for those whose rights have been restored.
Now more than ever, workers like Mark will need the network’s help when it comes to understanding what the decision means for them, holding government accountable, and promoting sound interpretation of legislation and litigation that affect workers’ rights.
If you are excited about this once-in-a-generation opportunity, please consider making a special gift today, so that you can join in the network’s efforts to educate five million government workers about their rights. Go here to make your special gift.
Read more about the decision
- Janus v. AFSCME decision restores government workers’ First Amendment rights (State Policy Network)
- IL Worker Mark Janus Wins US Supreme Court Case (Liberty Justice Center)
- Mark Janus on Supreme Court Ruling (Fox Business News)
- Supreme Court rules nonunion workers cannot be forced to pay fees to public sector unions (CNBC)
- Supreme Court’s Janus decision is a win for government workers (and all Americans) (Fox News)
- Teacher: Supreme Court’s Janus v AFSCME ruling will force unions to be more accountable (USA Today)
- Teacher: In Janus ruling, Supreme Court restores free speech rights to public workers like me (Fox News)
- Supreme Court decision puts workers in driver’s seat (Washington Examiner)