Imagine a fundraising career where you can build philanthropic partnerships that enable greater personal freedom and opportunity for all Americans.
Only 12 apprentices will be selected for placement opportunities across the country.
Program Dates: June 3, 2019 to August 9, 2019
Opening Seminar: May 20-24, 2019
Application Deadline: Friday, February 1, 2019
All candidates will be contacted regarding their application status on a rolling basis by March 1, and placements will be finalized for all selected candidates by April 1.
About the Development Apprentice Program
Connect your leadership experience and entrepreneurial drive with your passion to make real and lasting change that helps Americans thrive. State Policy Network’s Development Apprentice Program places aspiring leaders who support individual rights and economic freedom at state-based think tanks across the country for a 10-week crash course with on-the-job training in nonprofit fundraising.
Get a head start on your peers with experience and formal training in fundraising, which is required for most executive leadership positions, such as CEOs and board members. Nonprofit executives in leadership roles spend a majority of their time on fundraising to develop relationships and build support for the mission of the organization. Learn how to cultivate relationships that lead to philanthropic partnerships and support for organizations, develop research and analytical skills, and grow your professional network.
As part of this program, participants will:
- Receive full-time placement at a state-based think tank for ten weeks (June 3-August 9).
- Participate in welcome seminar with training on development fundamentals and networking opportunities (May 20-24).
- Have travel expenses covered to/from program placement and welcome seminar.
- Engage in a weekly online lecture series on professional development and leadership topics.
- Work with an assigned mentor to expand network and receive formal coaching.
- Attend SPN’s Annual Meeting as a Generation Liberty Fellow.
- Receive additional career placement support following the program.
- Receive invitations to participate in future SPN training and resources within the network.
- Pursue your interest in a career where you can help Americans flourish through greater personal freedom, innovation, opportunity, and a more peaceful society.
- Acquire hands-on experience working on all aspects of development operations.
- Join a team and integrate into the department like staff dedicated to generating support for its mission.
- Exposure to breadth of fundraising careers and other opportunities available in the non-profit community.
- Expand your network of like-minded peers as well as industry experts from across the country.
- Participate in interactive workshops and receive professional development and coaching.
- Learn more about various state policy issues and solutions, as well as successes and challenges across the country.
What benefits do apprentices receive (in addition to the awesome resume experience)?
- Paid internship—11 week apprenticeship program with $4,000 stipend.
- Exposure to all aspects of nonprofit fundraising operations.
- Receive professional training and resources in addition to job experience.
- Access to a network of organizations and professionals across the country.
- Career placement services to assist participants in finding full-time positions after the program.
- Develop a network of fellow apprentices and other professional contacts across the country.
- Continuous mentorship after the program concludes.
Where will apprentices be placed for the internship?
Apprentices are placed with a development team at an SPN affiliate organization. The participating hosts are independent organizations committed to advancing free-market policy solutions at the state and local level.
Requirements & Application Guidelines
This program seeks young leaders with diverse skill sets who support individual rights, personal and economic freedom, and free-market solutions. Previous experience is not required, but an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for liberty is required.
Undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates from all disciplines, including social sciences, business, economics, philanthropy, etc., are encouraged to apply.
Application & Selection Timeline:
February 1, 2019: Application Deadline
March 1, 2019: All applicants notified of their status on a rolling basis
March 4-20, 2019: Finalists interview with SPN
April 1, 2019: Selected participants receive placement and finalize all remaining details to prepare for the program.
To be eligible, an applicant must currently reside in the United States and meet all visa requirements, if applicable. Attendance for all program sessions, including the opening seminar, weekly webinars, and internship placement is required.
If you have any questions about SPN’s Development Apprentice Program, please contact Katie Vernuccio at firstname.lastname@example.org.