State Policy Network (SPN) seeks a Policy Specialist to advance its mission by working closely with state-based affiliates and our national partners to mentor policy professionals, build a peer network among them, and increase the effectiveness of SPN members’ policy work so that they can successfully champion state-based solutions that will create lasting change at the state and local level. This position is part of SPN’s Leadership Development Initiative Team and the Advance Policy Team.
SPN is a national nonprofit organization pursuing a vision of an America where personal freedom, innovation, opportunity, and a more peaceful society help all Americans flourish. Our mission is to catalyze thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored with high-performing, independent think tanks.
- Cultivate a thriving community of policy experts among SPN’s affiliate organizations and like-minded colleagues across the network. Connect and coordinate policy research and experts. Identify and cultivate leaders in the policy arena. Coach and mentor policy professionals.
- Work with affiliates to accelerate their effectiveness related to policy research, including dissemination, communication, evaluation, and adoption of liberty-oriented policies. Stay abreast of major policy initiatives and research among affiliate organizations.
- Work with others at SPN to help state think tanks build strong teams, with good alignment.
- Identify and facilitate opportunities to leverage the policy work and successes of the SPN affiliate network and help connect state think tanks with relevant national and regional organizations.
- Effectively lead a multi-state coalition of state and national organizations advancing a critical policy reform.
- Plan, set up, and lead policy-related meetings, workshops and annual events, ensuring they are aimed at accomplishing SPN’s strategic objectives.
- As needed, provide in-person, on-the-ground support—or real-time, virtual help—in key states.
- Help affiliates grow in their ability to select and promote high quality policy work.
- Network with national policy organizations and attend relevant meetings. As appropriate, serve as an SPN spokesperson at events.
- A broad understanding of, and deep commitment to, the principles of limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise.
- 3+ years of experience and expertise in free-market policies: state-based policy expertise is a big plus.
- Service-oriented, self-starter, entrepreneurial, hard-working, energetic, good with people, able to give public acclaim for a job well done to others—specifically affiliate staffs.
- Ability to teach and mentor, and a strong commitment to helping others succeed.
- Able to think strategically, not just tactically.
- Familiarity with state-based organizations and the state legislative process.
- Able to facilitate coalition meetings and drive participants towards an outcome.
- The ability to prioritize the best opportunities among the many that are available.
Travel is required for this role: expect roughly 20% travel, and perhaps more during busy times of the year.
Responsibilities and compensation will be commensurate to experience.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in PDF format with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing interest in the position, the mission of SPN and salary requirements
- Names and contacts of at least three professional references
Please include “Policy Specialist, SPN–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in a PDF document to Lauren Skiver with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search (firstname.lastname@example.org).
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
State Policy Network is seeking a Development Intern to assist our development department at our fast-paced, growing office located in Rosslyn. This position is ideal for a passionate, pro-liberty junior, senior, or recent grad who is looking to learn more about non-profit fund-raising, development and the state-based free market think tank network.
State Policy Network works with our think tank affiliates to cultivate thriving free-market movements in every state that are deeply rooted in and committed to economic & political freedom. The SPN development team works hard to identify new potential donors and cultivate existing relationships with our generous supporters.
- Conduct research and assist with the organization and storage of prospect and donor information into DonorPerfect, SPN’s donor database.
- Help maintain an organized and comprehensive data filing, entry and retrieval system.
- Assisting the development staff in planning donor events and other activities.
- Assist with mailings, filing, and special projects as needed
- Prepare reports and presentations for internal and external use.
- Attend department and staff meetings
- Interest in limited government and free market policy
- Preference in someone with experience working with databases, particularly fundraising programs (DonorPerfect, Raiser’s Edge)
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capable of working in a remote environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Positive, goal-oriented outlook
- Willingness to learn and provide assistance as necessary
- Trustworthy, reliable and must possess ability to show discretion pertaining to donor privacy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Send a cover letter and resume to Max Huntley at email@example.com by April 15, 2018.