About State Policy Network
State Policy Network (SPN) catalyzes thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored by high-performing, independent think tanks. We support the growth and success of a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of 65 independent state think tank affiliates and over 90 partners, connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, while advancing state policy reform initiatives.
Development Partnerships Manager
The State Policy Network seeks a detail-oriented individual with excellent verbal and written communications skills to join our Development Team as Development Partnerships Manager. This individual will play a critical role on two fronts:
- Help SPN deepen and cultivate new and existing foundation partnerships.
- Shepherd corporate and nonprofit partners through SPN’s Annual Meeting sponsor and exhibitor sales and stewardship process.
The right candidate will be a skilled writer/editor who can craft compelling reports and updates that help SPN’s foundation partners understand the impact of their investments. They should also have strong relationship-management skills and an interest in cultivating connections with SPN’s corporate and nonprofit partners as part of our event sponsorship program. Top candidates will be adept at prioritizing competing demands and enjoy the process of managing and improving systems and processes.
The Development Partnerships Manager will report to the Senior Director of Institutional Giving. This full-time role is a remote position. Limited travel will be required once pandemic restrictions are relaxed (approximately 10%). Travel is optional until that time.
- Foundation Stewardship:
- Write/edit foundation deliverables including quarterly foundation updates and thank you/acknowledgement letters.
- Assist with tracking foundation deadlines, deliverables, and metrics.
- Conduct foundation prospect research.
- Corporate and Sponsorship Stewardship:
- Connect with prospective sponsors and exhibitors, manage inquiries, and schedule outreach calls during sponsorship season.
- Develop sponsorship agreement drafts and invoices, track sponsorship payments, and follow up once sponsorship sales are made.
- Write thank you letters to and provide stewardship for sponsors and exhibitors at SPN’s Annual Meeting.
- Maintain knowledge of SPN’s strategic priorities to understand alignment with potential partners.
- Track and keep relevant key data updated, using SPN’s data management system.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience; a fundraising or sales background is strongly preferred
- Experience working in the freedom movement and experience working with foundations or event sponsorships is also preferred
- Strong interest in advancing State Policy Network’s mission and impact
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and superb attention to detail
- An ability to think strategically and creatively
- An entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and capacity to prioritize and balance multiple projects and effectively and meet deadlines and goals
- A team player that can work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment in professional manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook (Dropbox experience and/or experience with Salesforce is preferred)
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the position, why you are excited to work for the State Policy Network, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: https://talentmarket.org/candidates/apply-for-your-dream-job/
Questions can be directed to Katy Gambella, Network Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.
Program Director (Incubator Plus)
State Policy Network is seeking a Program Director to join our fast-paced, growing SPN LaunchPad team. This position is ideal for a market-oriented, entrepreneurial candidate, with prior business or consulting experience in organization development, innovation, and growth strategies.
The Incubator Plus Program Director is a senior-level position responsible for developing programming that supports high-potential entrepreneurs in strengthening and scaling early-stage concepts following an intensive two-day incubation event. The director will be responsible for developing the methodology and approach to the incubator program, as well as management of the day-to-day program operations. Blending strategic thinking with business expertise, the director will work alongside entrepreneurs to develop and implement strategies that accelerate their project’s implementation, growth, and outcomes.
The Incubator Plus Program Director will also assist with recruitment and engagement of experts, mentors, and coaches in the LaunchPad community.
We have retained the Executive Search Practice group RobertHalf for this search.
About SPN’s LaunchPad Project
State Policy Network’s LaunchPad is an ecosystem where social and business entrepreneurs hone innovative solutions to address pressing problems related to human freedom and civil society in the states. A Brain Trust of transformative thinkers, like-minded innovators, and veteran entrepreneurs help create this ecosystem.
We invite up to 10 idea entrepreneurs to advance their project in an exclusive, intensive two-day LaunchPad in-person event, where participants pitch their idea to the Brain Trust.
In the months leading up to the two-day event, the SPN team will work with each project and project owner to prepare for the in-person event. This preparation process is called the DISCOVERY phase.
The two-day intensive is our INCUBATOR EVENT. Using a co-creation process, assumptions are tested, ideas improved, and an action plan is developed in concert with Brain Trust members. Up to 50 Brain Trust members will be at the work session. These individuals are experts in their fields, successful entrepreneurs, and transformative thinkers. A handful will be grant-makers and investors. Brain Trust members are self-organizing and are free to choose where they lend their expertise.
Idea entrepreneurs who successfully complete the INCUBATOR EVENT, and who need key resources to successfully launch, advance to the INCUBATOR PLUS. There the project owner is provided the type of intense structure, training, mentorship, and investor networking required to potentially move toward remarkable success.
- Creating and managing the implementation of the programming schedule, which will include trainings, individualized coaching and intervention, as well as regular cohort meetings.
- Developing a customized needs assessment for each entrepreneur and project and craft an individualized plan and related connections to assist the entrepreneur in execution.
- Providing targeted 1-on-1 support to project owners to clarify policy obstacles, review progress, and provide additional resources and support as needed.
- Connecting idea entrepreneurs with mentors, coaches, and experts as needed, using the existing LaunchPad team and Brain Trust members as appropriate.
- Providing strategy consulting to each idea entrepreneur in areas such as vision development, market research, business model, growth strategy and tactics, client acquisition, financing, fundraising, operations, contract negotiations, and other areas.
- Developing a plan and assistance for project owners that have participated in the two-day Incubator event but did not move into the Incubator Plus.
- On a continual basis, tracking projects to note marketing and fundraising opportunities related to individual projects and providing information to key team members to capitalize on opportunities.
- Developing and building a coaching and mentorship bench, utilizing LaunchPad Brain Trust members. Building strong relationships with these existing partners and resources.
- Working with other SPN team members, assisting with recruitment and selection of LaunchPad projects (Note: They anticipate 20-25 projects throughout the year, with at least 10-15 of those projects moving forward into the Incubator Plus or some level of engagement with the Incubator Plus Program Director).
- 8-10+ years previous work experience in business and project management, including scenario planning, and using optimization techniques to solve project and business problems.
- A passion for social innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurial experience across multiple industry sectors preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in policy, advocacy, business, marketing, and finance.
- Strong knowledge of fundamental business concepts and excellent problem-solving skills with ability to set benchmarks and measures; evaluation methods; identify root causes related to positive or negative results; and recommend solutions and experiments to test project viability.
- Able to cultivate, build, and maintain strong working relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Public Administration is required.
- An advanced degree like a M.B.A., M.P.H, M.P.A., J.D. is preferred.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
If interested, please contact:
Kevin Hicar, Senior Principal, (202) 572-8312 or firstname.lastname@example.org
State Policy Network (SPN) is a national nonprofit organization pursuing a vision of an America where personal freedom, innovation, opportunity, and a more peaceful society help all Americans flourish. Our mission is to catalyze thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored with high-performing, independent think tanks.
SPN is seeking an Event Manager to join our fast-paced, growing events team. This position is ideal for a pro-liberty, entrepreneurial candidate with an interest in gaining valuable event planning experience and learning more about the state-based free-market think tank network.
The Event Manager will work directly with our Director of Events on event preparation, planning, and on-site execution for multiple events. The Event Manager will also assist with SPN’s Annual Meeting, which is one of the largest, premiere events in the Liberty Network, with more than 1,300 attendees, particularly with contributing content ideas for the meeting.
The Event Manager’s role advances SPN’s mission and strategic objectives by planning events that communicate SPN’s key priorities and training and build stronger relationships with our constituents. This position will require management of the event from concept to successful completion.
The Event Manager can be based in SPN’s Arlington, VA headquarters or in a virtual office.
- Develop and drive event strategy for each assigned programmatic event. For each event, develop key objectives, measurable goals, and target audience to further advance organization mission.
- Ensure brand consistency of SPN and high-quality execution of each event.
- Ensure the highest level of customer service to reflect SPN brand to both internal and external customers.
- Drive overall event execution timeline, including all event-related activities from logistics (including food/beverage needs, travel, and venue) to marketing timeline and program development.
- Track event performance and metrics to evaluate event effectiveness.
- Calculate, track, and report event budget. Recommend adjustments as necessary throughout planning process to ensure event effectiveness and adjustments that may need to be made to achieve event goals.
- Maintain and develop key vendor relationships in coordination with other event team members.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for SPN’s Annual Meeting.
- 3-5 years of experience, including lead management experience in event planning.
- Preferred knowledge with content planning
- Ability to travel 30-35% (or more; this is dependent on the candidate’s location).
- Strong interest in having a role that will further State Policy Network’s mission and impact.
- Problem-solving and management in time-sensitive situations.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic.
- Team player with upbeat personality.
- A strong ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects effectively.
- Extensive logistical expertise.
- Registration and communications best practices with a high degree of customer service (experience with event registration platforms, including Cvent, is preferred).
- Venue and vendor sourcing and management.
- Contract negotiation skills and experience.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Proficient knowledge of Excel, Power Point, Word, Salesforce, and cloud-sharing programs.
- Understanding of social media in event settings.
This is a full-time position that includes travel (35%).
Some events will require on-site execution that will occur outside of normal business hours.
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/SPN’s mission, compensation requirements, location preference, and travel availability.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.