State Policy Network is a national nonprofit organization pursuing a vision of an America where personal freedom, innovation, opportunity, and a more peaceful society help all Americans flourish. State Policy Network was founded to support the growth of a collaborative and entrepreneurial network of state think tanks including 65 independent state think tank affiliates and over 90 associate partners. SPN works side-by-side with these leaders to catalyze thriving, durable freedom movements in every state, anchored with high performing independent think tanks. We do this by:
- Incubating think tanks and accelerating their development through strategic planning, training, and coaching;
- Connecting talented state leaders so they can learn, challenge, and grow together, with the aim of cultivating state solutions that collectively yield national impact; and,
- Defending the 50-state think tank network by disseminating best practices, critical resources when members are attacked, and fighting assaults on free speech and donor privacy.
Senior Development Officer
State Policy Network is seeking a Senior Development Officer to join our team. This position is ideal for a pro-liberty, entrepreneurial candidate with experience in growing long term, sustainable relationships with philanthropists. The Senior Development Officer’s role advances SPN’s mission and strategic objectives by working closely with donors to align their goals with SPN’s mission.
The Senior Development Officer will report directly to our Senior Director of Development and will be responsible for the results of his/her major gifts portfolio which will include a mix of current donors and prospects.
This position can be based in SPN’s Arlington, VA headquarters or in a virtual office. This is a full-time position that includes 50% travel.
Manage a major gifts portfolio: Responsible for developing and managing a moves management strategy for a portfolio of 100+/- donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts of $100K+. Territory may be nationwide.
- Increase SPN’s fundraising capacity through the successful qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individuals having the capacity to make gifts of $100K and above.
- Work to creatively match donor interests with institutional priorities.
- Develop funding proposals and structure complex gifts, including planned gifts.
- Prepare briefings, stewardship plans/letters and other correspondence for prospects, collaborating with staff as needed.
- Motivate and support leadership and volunteers to solicit gifts when appropriate.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of SPN’s funding priorities.
- 5+ years of fundraising experience with a primary focus on closing major gifts ($25,000+).
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong interest in advancing State Policy Network’s mission and impact.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- A team player that can work in a fast-paced, high volume environment in professional manner.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, strong work ethic, and capacity to prioritize and balance multiple projects and effectively and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills, organizational skills, and superb attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel and Outlook (advanced Excel knowledge or experience with Sales Force a plus).
To apply, qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/SPN’s mission, salary requirements, location preference, and travel availability.
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link.
Questions can be directed to Lauren Skiver, Talent Manager with Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: Lauren@talentmarket.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.