- Type: Full-Time
- Discipline: Development
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: Virtual
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2021
The Association of American Educators Foundation is seeking applicants for a Director of Development based out of our Alexandria, Virginia, office, and/or from a home office anywhere in the continental United States accessible by a major airport.
Organization: The Association of American Educators Foundation supports the mission of the Association of American Educators, a non-profit, non-union professional educator organization that seeks to foster the transformation of the teaching profession by empowering and supporting a community of professionals for the benefit of our students and the nation. AAE is committed to a teaching profession that is student oriented, well respected, and personally fulfilling. AAE is a forward-thinking, reform-minded organization, primarily serving K-12 public district and public charter school educators. AAE and AAE Foundation empower and amplify educator voices committed to student achievement and teaching excellence. AAE Foundation is a 501(c)(3). For more information, visit aaeteachers.org.
The Director of Development advances AAE Foundation’s mission, growth, and donor support through developing and implementing a fundraising strategy, managing donor outreach and communication, and securing financial support from foundations and individuals whose goals align with the mission of AAE Foundation. The position requires a motivated individual with excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills, and committed to AAE Foundation’s mission. This position reports to the executive director and works closely with program staff, fundraising consultants, and leadership to execute an effective development strategy.
Supervisor: Executive Director
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute AAE Foundation’s annual fundraising plan.
- Research and identify foundations and individuals with goals consistent with AAE Foundation’s mission.
- Engage in direct cultivation and solicitation meetings with foundation officers and individual donors.
- Create and implement systems to support fundraising strategies to advance AAE Foundation’s mission and promote AAE Foundation advocacy efforts.
- Manage development calendar activity and systems to track and pace current, future, pending solicitations and relationship-building activity.
- Facilitate outreach and follow-up of donors and prospects by leadership, including supporting scheduling of meetings, phone calls, and travel, as needed.
- Manage donor correspondence including requests for information, general communication, and thank you notes.
- Draft and prepare grant proposals, reports, and related materials.
- Collaborate with Director of Advocacy and AAE’s Director of Communications to develop AAE Foundation reports and publications for allies and donors.
- Serve as primary liaison to fundraising consultants, researchers, and grant writers, as needed.
- Review and proof fundraising collateral for individuals and foundations.
- Track and report all development activities for internal and external reporting.
- Support tracking, evaluating, and reporting all grant-related efforts initiated by the organization.
- Represent AAE Foundation at meetings, conferences, and events, as needed.
- Actively participate in staff calls and leadership team meetings.
- Foster an organizational culture upholding AAE Foundation’s mission and values.
- Assist in daily functions of Alexandria, Virginia, office.
- Other duties as needed to fulfill mission of the organization.
- Additional fundraising responsibilities based on skills, experience, and interest to ensure development goals are met.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum five years of fundraising experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to relationship building for the organization, both internally and externally.
- Enthusiastic, skilled execution of all elements of donor cultivation, operating as a team of one.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to work independently as well as in close coordination with others.
- Philosophical alignment of association’s policy platform and mission.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the United States.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Respect for deadlines, attention to detail, and commitment to quality.
- Experience working with spreadsheets in Excel, creating and presenting with PowerPoint.
- Five years of development experience for organizations related to AAE Foundation.
- Professional experience in K-12 education, education policy, or education advocacy.
- Understanding of education reform, labor reform, and education policy issues.
- Experience in membership association industry.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience as well as performance incentives.
- Employee health and retirement plan with matching opportunity.
- Travel and technology compensation.
- Office is Metro accessible (Huntington Avenue).
This job can be virtual.
How to apply
Send cover letter, complete resume, and salary requirements (not a salary history) to: email@example.com. Subject line: Director of Development.